Need Help with Upgrade - TSM 4.2.3 --> TSM 5.2.2 on AIX 5.2 ML3

otr_joe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi -- Has anyone performed this particular upgrade before? I have searched through the archives here and do not see any posts on this particular upgrade. Please help if you can. I have to get this one right and would really like to know if there are any "gotchas" or issues with the procedure. The System is AIX 5.2 ML3 and is attached to an IBM 3584 with 4 LTO Gen II drives. I have about 500 GB of SAN attached diskpool storage as well. The Database Lives on Internal SCSI Disk Drives. If anyone could outline the step by step process I would greatly appreciate it.

I have read some about the Cleanup Backupgroups and am not sure if I need to do this or how long it would take on a 70GB TSM database.

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback on this upgrade path.

:rolleyes:

step 0-a)backup the TSM DB, Devconf, dsmserv.opt, volhist

step 0-b)mksysb the server

shutdown TSM

run a smitty update_all from the TSM 5.2.2 CD

start TSM

Verify everything works correctly. If not, downgrade TSM and restore DB. Smitty should do an automatic upgrade of the DB when you run the update_all, so it will take some time(depends mostly on what kind of hardware). It should also create any tape/library paths needed based on your old dev-conf but you may want to delete/re-create them after the server is up and running. Now is also a good time to upgrade the atape driver(then again, if it ain't broke...)

You can run cleanup brackupgroups with a live system (I tihnk, pull up the help on it to confirm) so you can perform that before you start. It cleans up some errors that were created in the DB with some Windows clients at the 3.7 level. If you started off at 4.2 or don't have Windows clients you don't have to worry about it

Since you're not changing the OS, this is actually a very simple upgrade.

-Aaron

Aaron -

First of all, Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I always get worried when the time comes to upgrade as so many things change with TSM and some upgrades are simple and some upgrades are very very difficult.

I do have the latest and greatest Atape driver already installed, the latest AIX ML installed, and the latest Firmware installed on the system and library/drives.

TSM is purring along just fine now but I have to get it to 5.2.2 so.....

Just Couple of additional minor questions/verifications:

1. Do you have any Idea or rule of thumb as to how long this particular upgrade might take? I know it depends greatly on hardware as you said, among other things but I need to schedule a maintenance window through change control and these are always so hard to measure.

2. No uninstall of TSM filesets are required for this particular upgrade?

3. Lastly -- why do you recommend deleting and recreating the paths if they are created for me? And -- I had read that the devices would all go away and I would have to recreate them -- is this true?

Thanks Again -- I sincerly appreciate your input! :grin:

When I upgraded my TSM server from 4.2.1.0 to 5.2.2.0 it took about 4 hours. This was for a 120GB DB at 80% full on a p660-6M1 with 4 450Mhz processors and 4GB of RAM and the DB was on fibre attached ESS disk (shark). If you run this on an F-50, expect 2 to 3 times as long and if you run it on a 650, expect maybe half. I believe this is a single threaded process so a single faster processor will run it faster then more, slower processors.

You CAN uninstall 4.2.3 and then re-install 5.2.2 but an upgrade_all should just upgrade the filesets you already have installed (and install any pre-reqs needed) Either way should work fine. Just remember to install the license files and watch for 64bit vs 32bit.

When I upgraded, it created all the paths and they worked but it "looked funny". This was about 6 months ago and I don't recall all the details. I just remember that it looked right after I deleted all the paths and re-created them. If you have library sharing, make sure you upgrade the library master before the library clients. You shouldn't have to worry about devices going away since you aren't modifing AIX or atape. The /dev/rmtX devices should be static through this whole thing.

-Aaron

Thank you Aaron --

I was surprised with the results I had on running the cleanup backupgroups command... It only ran for an hour. I will be going through the actual upgrade in a couple of days and I will let you know how it goes.

By the way -- yes, you can run the CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS command on a live system. Everything else just functioned with a little less speed but otherwise fine during that hour.

:rolleyes:

Back