NDMP with EMC Celerra what i have done

schellh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

i just wanted to paste what was neccessary on tsm side to get it working.
I had a howto from EMC, and also one from IBM.
emc: configuring ndmp backups on emc celerra , filename 300-004-181.pdf
ibm: the manual http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp

define domain ndmp description='NDMP Policies'
define policyset NDMP NDMPPOLICY
define mgmtclass NDMP NDMPPOLICY NDMPMGMTCLASS
assign defmgmtclass NDMP NDMPPOLICY NDMPMGMTCLASS

#our library is lb1.1.0.1, lto4 with 800g native

define devclass ndmpclass library=lb1.1.0.1 devtype=nas mountretention=0 estcapacity=800g
define stgpool NDMPPOOL NDMPCLASS maxscratch=50 dataformat=celerradump

# i use the backuppool for the TOC required for single file restore

define volume BACKUPPOOL r:\backup1.dsm formatsize=30720

define copygroup NDMP NDMPPOLICY NDMPMGMTCLASS destination=NDMPPOOL verexists=180 tocdestination=backuppool
activate policyset NDMP NDMPPOLICY
register node %NODENAME %PASSWORD domain=NDMP type=nas
define datamover %NODENAME type=nas hladdress=%IP lladdress=10000 userid=ndmp password=%NDMPPASSWORD dataformat=celerradump

# our drives are mt1.0.0.1 and mt0.0.0.1

define path %NODENAME mt1.0.0.1 srctype=datamover desttype=drive library=lb1.1.0.1 device=c64t0l0
define path %NODENAME mt0.0.0.1 srctype=datamover desttype=drive library=lb1.1.0.1 device=c80t0l0

#of course you have to enable ndmp on the celerra, i didnt do this and think its a userid and a service.
also you need the addresses of the drives.
login to the controlstation with nasadmin
server_devconfig server_2 -probe -scsi -nondisks
server_devconfig server_2 -create -scsi -nondisks
server_devconfig server_2 -list -scsi -nondisks

also for server_3 and so on ... when you cannot mount tapes, maybe your path to the drives are flipped, i couldnt identify which drive was on what address

great info
the one issue i ran into , the ip address to use for the datamover (tivoli side) setup should point to the ip of any cif server on the celerra, not the control station (celerra)

turned out ndmp with emc and tsm is more tricky than with legato networker:

our biggest FS often threw up an error:
ANR0102E tocbuild.c(956) Error 1 inserting rot in table "NDMP.Image.Contents(TEMP)",

which caused the next diff run to be a fulldump.

i cannot tell for sure now, but i strongly believe that turning on emc snapsure feature (which creates a transparent fs snapshot for the ndmp task) helped.
could be you have to define some space on the emc for snapshot use first. we had that already so i cant tell.

i hope your emc DARTos for the celerra has a new enough code for the feature (1-2 years old ? dont know)

server_param server_2 -facility NDMP -modify snapsure -value 1

thanks to tsm support and http://www.backupinsight.com/openservices/ml/eb4cc06f1

Back