NDMP Help

cwilloug

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We just installed an Nseries NAS, I have downloaded, read, and configured the TSM side of things following the redbook Using the IBM System Storage N Series with IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager. Chapter 4 goes right into using the TSM gui or command line - what client do you put on the NAS? and how?

I have configured the NAS to see my attached tape drives, but I am missing the client install portion - this may seem like a silly question to some, but I've never done and work with NDMP before.

Any tips / tricks / hints from anyone else using NDMP too would be helpful.

Thanks

Yes, these are the step listed in the redbook Using the IBM System Storage N Series with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, which are done either from the ISC, or the TSM command line, which I have done...

Ok - a light bulb just came on over my head - you don't have a client on the NAS like on windows / unix boxes,,, the TSM server tells the NAS when to back up,, the NAS doesn't poll the TSM server to see what time it is to back up.

you should have the ndmp process enable and running. By default it is talking to TSM server using port 10000. On the TSM server side, when you start the TSM server, NDMP API will be initialized. Hopefully, you have defined the datamover, nas node properly including the account and password to be used and proper authority.

Back