NDMP Backups to Library Client

mark.swanston

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I currently have a requirement to implement NDMP operations to a TSM server that is a library client (it has a libt of shared).

I am trying to understand if this configuration is possible with TSM 5.4.1

Any comments would be of great help.

Yes I believe it is possible, you have to create the datamovers and paths on the library manager and then have the NDMP system use the devclass that points to the library manager with the datamover paths. If its like the LAN-Free setup then it should work.

I think there is slightly more to it than the LAN-Free setup, as when defining the datamover you need to define the "data mover node name" which is the node name for the NAS client.

My current feelings towards this is that you must define the NDMP client on the same machine as the datamover, and the datamover must be on the library manager for paths to be defined. Thus meaning you can only configure NDMP clients on a library manager :(

Since you have TSM v5.4, you can run NDMP backups over ethernet to a regular storage pool on the TSM library client. You define the node and datamover on the TSM library client.
Of note - you may want to upgrade to V5.4.1.1 as there are several NDMP related APARS fixed in that version

Cheers,
Neil

This is a good question...would it work if you define the node name on the TSM Library manager but run it to the library client? (In other words what if the node is defined on both?) I try to keep the TSM Library manager free of any client activity if possible that way if it ever crashes you really wont lose anything. You could bring up a new copy and the TSM library clients would reacquire their tapes when they run an audit against the TSM library manager. With NDMP clients on the library manager it gets more complicated.

Hi Guys,

did anyone ever get this to work? I'm trying to do a d.r. exercise for a client where a TSM server which is also a library manager is restored at another site where it becomes a library client. As one of the initial tests I am trying to backup a NAS filer. The process starts ok on the library client and gives a message that it is waiting for the mount to complete. However on the library manager I get the following numerous times and the mount then fails:

ANR9999D_2515092763 (pvrremot.c:497) Thread<89>: Invalid
remote session handle encountered.(SESSION: 26725)

I havent done much with NAS before so maybe I am missing something but I have the datamovers defined on both tsm servers and they are showing online on both. Any ideas? Or is the manual correct that NAS clients have to be on a library manager? Cheers. Phil.

we also thought, after building a seperate libr mng, about how to backup those ndmp files to a libr client and called TSM support:

you may have a look at following documentation:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsml.doc/anrlgd55193.htm
this describes how to set up NDMP backup to a libr client which is called 'NDMP Filer to Tivoli Storage Manager Server Backups'.

The problem may be that you have to create stg on the libr client (where you want to backup those data) which have the exact (or greater) amount of data capacity. Which could result in a problem because some environments could be really huge. Or did I misunderstood?

Until now we have setup the ndmp backup on the libr mng because of those problems. Perhaps someone knows any other solutions or just correct me if I'm wrong with above statement

Thanks for your post johansen, I have followed your link but I don't see anything that refers to a TSM server acting as a library client, unless I am missing something.

I have just had a call from IBM who have stated that NDMP clients must be on the library manager and that if you try the library client route you will get the pvrremote.c message outlined in my earlier post.

I have asked if there are any plans in version 6 for this facility and for some guidance on d.r. for NAS/TSM as this punches a big hole in our strategy, which currently recovers to a second production site where the library manager being recovered becomes a library client. I will post any updates I get for info. Cheers.

For info, after some new advice from IBM, this is now working for us. The format of our sequential pool was NETAPPDUMP. To backup NAS to a library client the data format needs to be NATIVE on the stgpool. As Neil states below you need to define the node and datamover on the library client.

thanks a lot for the really positive information! :)

but, can someone please give me some little explanation about the steps you have to make to run the backup to a libr client?

@Phil: what have you done in detail to run those ndmp backup jobs to the libr client?
- what have you defined on the libr mng?
- and what on the libr client?

thanks

Back