NDMP Backup/Restore of NetApp Metrocluster in case of failover

th10tm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

One of my customers wants to backup a NetApp Metrocluster (FAS3070, 168x 300GB disks, number of aggregates still unknown, 4 vfiler, about 50 volumes in total, DataONTAP 7.2.4P4) with TSM via NDMP. Our TSM-Server (AIX 5.3 TL7 SP1, TSM 5.4.2.0) uses a 3494 library with 20 TS1120 drives of which 4 drives can be accessed by both filers.

We did some tests and backup via LAN was extremely slow and caused a lot of CPU load on both NetApp filer and TSM server, so we've switched to LAN-Free instead. But we had to realize that LAN-free does only result in good performance when we do backups without TOCs. Now normal backup and restores work quite well.

But we have big problems when the Metrocluster performed a failover. Since the tape drive names are not the same on both filers, mount requests are denied after a failover because the "wrong" tape drive is referenced. I've tried the following :

Change the datamover/drive path in TSM to the drive names of the other filer => Mount request still denied

Switch the IP addresses in the datamover device => works, but volume has to be recreated on failover filer, NFS exports as well => not good !

Configure the same tape drive alias names on both filers => TSM does not accept alias names as tape device names in the path configuration.

Does anybody have an idea how to perform backup or restore operations after the Metrocluster has performed a failover ???

Any help is really appreciated

TIA
Marc

Hi TSM_Dude,

yes I did, but the upd path command in TSM does not accept alias names, only rstXX names. Maybe it is supported in TSM 5.5 ???

Thanks for your reply

Regards
Marc

Back