NDMP -backup node creates its own netapp snapshot?

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Pro's

I have just setup NDMP backups at my site via virtualfs mappings. I heard that the backup node command creates its own netapp snapshot automatically. But when I start this command: 'backup node filer.mydomain.com /company_vol3 mgmtclass=company_10_years toc=yes mode=full' I can't find any new snapshot on my filer during the time the backup runs. I need to know if the command creates any snapshot due I want the filesystem to be in a "non-changing-mode" when I take the NDMP backup.

Or do I need to create a snapshot myself before I run the 'backup node' command and change my virtualfsmapping to that self-created snapshot?

Hi,

what I do is the second option you mentioned - create your own snapshot (or use any "default" - like "nightly.0" or "smsql_xxxxxx_recent") and define virtualfsmapping with this snapshot
Code:
define virtualfsmapping <nasnode> /<virtual> /vol/<real> /.snapshot/<snapname>

Hope it helps

Harry

Hi,

what I do is the second option you mentioned - create your own snapshot (or use any "default" - like "nightly.0" or "smsql_xxxxxx_recent") and define virtualfsmapping with this snapshot
Code:
define virtualfsmapping <nasnode> /<virtual> /vol/<real> /.snapshot/<snapname>

Hope it helps

Harry

Ok, thanks Harry. Then I know how you solve the problem. (Same as me :)...) I think I will call the IBM technician that told me that the "backup node" command itself creates a temorary snapshot during the NDMP backup and ask him to explain how he ment.

Last edited:
Back