multiple retention periods

hugi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an interesting problem. A new client wants to implement a retention policy with the following parameters:

daily - 4 weeks

weekly - 6 months

monthly - 1 year

quarterly - 2 years

semi-annual - 2 years

yearly - 7 years

They are use to traditional backup methodologies such as a daily incremental and weekly fulls. If I had the physical tapes, like the old days, I could just implement this very easily. However, this is not going to be easy in the TSM world.

I have seen the discussions on using seperate node names for daily and monthly retention. That would be a management nightmare if I needed 6 node names for each node. We also do our scheduling on the TSM server so would I need 6 dsmc sched processes?

We plan on having a discussion with client to try and explain how TSM works. We also want to try and find out what their intend to accomplish by having such a complex retention policy. Of course, I have the Netbackup fans saying this is no problem......

Any advice would be welcome. You may reach me directly at [email protected].

Thanks

First of all. With the retention requirements you have you should be using Archiving for everything BUT the daily backups. Each using s seperate management class. The schedules would use the same node names in the same Policy domain. This would be the simplest.

Back