Multiple Device Classes

booman55

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
We currently are using 3 device classes in our environment. One for each of our media types, 3590, 3592 and 3592 Gen II. We had a consultant group in which recommended us creating many more device classes and putting our primary and copy pools in different device classes. The rationale was it allows you to be more flexible if you're going to move tapes between libraries. He mentioned it had other benefits but didn't go into details.

Are any of you using a distributed device class model or even heard of this method?

Thanks.

And why is it multiple libraries can't use the same devclass? As long as the library supports the device type there is no compelling reason to define a new devclass for just that library.

-Aaron

It does actually make sense, I think its not for the library definitions, its for the storage pools.

Its so you put your primary stgpools in one device class, and the copypools in a different device class. This lets you potentially split into using a second library for copypools in future, without needing to create an entirely new copypool and have to move everything into it (you can't change devclass on stgpool after creating it).

I have primary and copypools in different device classes, as I do actually have separate libraries for primary and copypools and its all very neat and easy. I don't see why what your consultant proposed would be a problem, especially if you're considering a second library in future.

Back