MS Exchange MailBox support

As of Exchange2000 and TDPforExchange 5.1.5, there was no support for single mailbox restore. This is a limitation of Exchange because Microsoft has not provided an API to allow single mailbox restore.

-Aaron

What heada says is true, however exchange comes with the exmerge utility, to extract mailboxes from exhange, (converting them into .pst files). Tivoli have made some scripts , which need some small alterations, and you can extract all mailboxes to .pst's, and back them up as files. I know, it's a hazzle, an you need alot of extra disk-space, but it is possible. Haven't tried it yet, but I will at some point.

I believe it is worth thinking about, because it could be a greater hazzle to have an Exchange server standing by, to use for restores, and a large Exchange server takes a long time to restore, and you then have to use exmerge anyways, if you want to get just a single mailbox out of the restored exchange.

I know there exists som kind of API for this, because Veritas Backup Exec can do this in their last version.

May this enlighten your path, and lead you to the Solution. :-o

Rgds.

Geirr

Hi,

Backup/restore of MS Exchange brick-level (individual mailboxes) is not supported by current version of TSM (5.2.10/5.1.5). To achieve brick-llevel a link to exmerge.exe must be done. Veritas Backup Exec and CA- BrightStor ARCServe and Enterprise Backup have this function fully supported within each product, and backup/restore of brick-level is an added object in all views of backup/retore objects.

Bear in mind that 1.5.1 currently doesn ot recognise MS Exchange Server 2003!

It is the disaster restore of mailboxes that is a problem. This is correctly an API issue, and thus a Microsoft issue. MS has guidelines for DR:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9E52BAFC-5C33-46B9-AF14-04E4D989EF6B

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&qu=mailbox+recover&view=en-us

So you will be able to protect individual mailboxes using current TSM! This means that you can restore ALL erased contents (letters and attachments and custom folders) of an individual mailbox as long as the mailbox/user itself has not been erased. That is when problems arise.

Morten Ross

[email protected]

Back