MS Exchange backup fail

androm

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have the following problem with one of my customers: he tries to do a backup of MS Exchange (release module 5.1) with Legato Networker 7.2.2.Build.422, before the upgrade to MS Exchange module version 5.1 the module crashed always. Now, after the upgrade the crash never happens again but there are some other problems :

- To backup the mailbox of the users for example with "M" letter it takes 10 hours

- inside the Legato index there is not trace regarding the backup so Legato think that the backup fail and consequently does not backup any mailbox

- The backup regarding Public Folders does not work, the Distribution List are skipped and the backup crash with a fatal error.

Please, someone has some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem ?
Thanks in advance .
regards,
Andrea

HI Androm and May...
technically, he posted this within the EMC Networker forum...So he might be able to get some response even though this is mostly a TSM oriented crowd...
I used to work with Legato about 5 years ago...I'd love to help you out, but i've put Networker wayyyyy wayyy in the back of my head! :)
good luck!

Mailbox level backup has never been the best and can effectively bring your Exchange server to it's knees whilst it starts generating pst files for every mailbox before sending off to the NetWorker server. As a result it's not uncommon for a backup to run for many, many hours if not days on a large server! Unless the customer has a good reason for using mailbox backup it's always best to try and recommend against it and do full db backups...

As for errors during backup the xbsa.messages log file on the exchange server might shed some light on why backups are having problems.

What errors are you recieving? You should be able to find error entries in the xbsa, save group, or sv logs. Provide some more information.

This is known issue with slow Exchange backup. I already saw this.
You need to find exchange module 5.1 build 228 and Networeker client version 7.3.3 (last one on powerlink.) A new 7.3.4 will be available on 28th Dec.2007.
Please install this and it will work properly.

brgds,

Hi All,

Can anybody help me in configuring Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Mailbox level backup.I am able to take the backup of the Information Store successfully.But for mailboxes the backup fails with the error, "Insufficient Permissions to access the mailbox".I have checked all standard permissions required as per the documentation like Send-as,recieve-as.The account I am using for backup has all the rights and I have entered this account details in the Networker Client configuration in the Remote Access tab.But even then I get the error.I have also MAPI & CDO installed.Here is the setup.

Networker Server: 7.3.4 Build 560
Microsoft Exchnage Server 2007
Networker Module for Exchange 5.1

The Exchange

The Exchange Server has been hosted on a two node Active-Passive cluster running on Windows 2008 Server.The account I am using for backup is a member of both Domain Administrators and Exchange Administrators.Now can anybody please help me on resolving the permission issue.And what are permissions that I need to assign to the account I am using for taking the backup.

Checking in the task manager what account used to run networker services as well as exchange account? e.g. System or Administrator?

Is there any Networker module in play? if yes which one?

Back