Moving TSM Server from AIX to Win2K

jkeen

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
http
We are getting rid of AIX, and need to move TSM to Win2K. We are on version 5.1 for server and some clients, and the other clients are 4.2. The server has a 3583 library attached with 2 drives. What is the process to move the TSM Server from one platform to the other? I have looked at the virtual volumes and am thinking that's the way to go but not sure how. Also, I thought I had read where you have to export and import each tape when you do this. If so, why (why does it matter what box the library is plugged into?), and how do you do it if you only have the one library that you plan on moving to the new platform. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

If you were moving TSM from one machine to anotheron the same operating system, it would be as easy as restoring the TSM database.

Since we are moving TSM from an AIX platform to a Windows platform.

Due to the different file system. The TSM database can not just be resotred since we are going from JFS to NTFS.

You would need to export the TSM database from AIX and then import it to TSM on the Windows machine. I do not know if this is a supported process or not.

Virtual volumes are used for TSM Server to Server communication.

This would not help us in moving TSM from one machine to another.

Sias

We are also planning to move TSM from AIX to Win2k. We have tested the virual volume policy. It didn't work. Contacted Tivoli. The only way to move from AIX to Win2K is building a now environment. You could use export/import to move the data. We are going to do the full back-ups. It is much faster than export/import. The only data we will move is the archive data, since it isn't on the clients anymore.

File system data archived or backed up with one client architecture

(e.g. Windows) usually cannot be retrieved with another client (e.g. Unix)

because their file systems have different layouts: they are incompatible.

You cannot do a DSMSERV RESTORE using an ADSM /TSM database backup tape created

on a machine with a different architecture: in such cases you must perform

an Export-Import.

No need to take my word.

Just Do It! -Nike :grin:

Sias

Back