Moving TSM node from one domain to another - what happens to older data

djr1111

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know the best way to move an existing TSM node from one domain to another. If I move the node to another domain I already have, it is my understanding that node does a new full backup, is that true?

Furthermore, if I moved a node and for some reason I needed the data for that node that was backed up to the previous domain, how does TSM deal with this?

I was also told if I just update the node to point to a new domain, any previous data backed up will stay on the previous storagepool unless I move it using "move nodedata", and all new backups will go to the new storage pool associated with the new domain I choose.

I really do not care if the older data stays on the other storage pool so I was not planning on moving the data, it is more important that have the ability to restore that older data from that node that was backed up pre-move to a new domain.

Thank you!!!
David

Yep, When domain is changed, the node does a full backup pertaining to the new domain..

Not sure,whether the old data can be still restored after the move, cos when the node is moved to new domain,it'll have new copygroup settings applied. And the old data will be treated as inactive and data retention will be applied.

Hiii Hema thanq for post ,

"And the old data will be treated as inactive and data retention will be applied." this means the retion period mentioned in the new copy group will be applied to this data ?

Please clarify.

Backup Data:
All files previously backed up for that node will be rebound to the retention period specified by the new domain. So if you used to keep 10 versions of a file, but the new domain's copygroup specifies VERE=5, then you can expect the oldest 5 version to be expired.

Archive Data:
Previously archived files do not get rebound to a new domain or copygroup. Archives are not subject to the same versioning constraints and each archive package is treated as separate from the others. So if you had 365 days retention in the previous domain, and 730 days retention in the new domain, the old files will still expire after 1 year. Any new files will kept for 2 years.

Thank you travelsick,

I appreciate the good imformation!!

also thank you to all the have responded...

David

Back