Moving from a library to a single drive

melvin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My existing server has an IBM LTO3 tape library with 6 drives and 90 slots. This hardware is going out the door because our lease expires and management has chosen to go with another backup solution. Our existing configuration has a primary storage pool and an offisite copy pool.

I have been given a new server with a single LTO3 drive which will only be doing restore jobs for old data. Basically when the existing server leaves, all TSM client schedules/reclamations/expires will be stopped. It will basically be frozen in time but accessible in case somebody needs to grab a file from 'the old system'.

The problem is there is no library. I can't checkin tapes to a manual library.

I backedup/restored the tsm DB to the new server. I have the manual drive defined to TSM and clients can connect to it, but when I issue restore requests they always bomb and ask for tapes from the offsite copy pool.

Does anyone know how to get a single tape drive on a new server to use tapes from another pool? How can I "attatch" the single drive to the primary storage pool?

I'm spinning my wheels here... Help!

Switching from a library to a single drive system should not be any different. Have done this a lot in the past.

Have you checked that the online pool tapes are not labeled as 'unavailable'? This is commonly one reason why TSM would ask for offsite tapes.

Last edited:
Back