Moving a Server from OS/390 to AIX

dirkg

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello out there,

we are planning to change our system architecture from OS/390 to AIX. At the moment an IBM VTS is the place we store our data from TSM. In the future it will be an ADIC AML/2 with 3590 tapedrives.

There are about 300 Clients with 3.5 TB of data managed by TSM.

If we start new on AIX, the data would be lost.

I am looking for a way to keep this data. Maybe through "import" & "export" or something like "server-to-server virtual volumes", because the only way the machines are to talk to each other will be TCP/IP.

I would be very happy for any suggestions solving this puzzle...

Sincerly

dirk

Dirk,

Your correct on the point if you start new on the AIX the data would be lost.

Well, in a way the data is "lost." If the OS/390 is still available just update the server address in the dsm.opt file then the client will be able to access the old data.

Since you are moving from OS/390 to AIX operating system.

You could "export" and then "import" the TSM database.

Server to server virtual volumes is not going to work.

On the target server all it does is hold the information, only the source server can read the data.

Is the OS/390 going away completely?

If not, once you have the TSM server setup on AIX. Update the server address in the dsm.opt file to point to the AIX box. The down side is when the client does a backup to the AIX box it would be a full backup rather than an incremental. With 300+ clients there are going to be a lot of network traffic. Unless you have 20-50 clients at a time to point to the AIX box.

If you want to restore data that is on the OS/390, update the server address in the client dsm.opt to point to the OS/390 and then perform the restore.

In time the data on the OS/390 will expire.

I know that this sounds easier than done, several of my users I had to take over there box.

If anyone else have any idea I would like to know. Since I am face with a simular issue but with Solaris and AIX.

Sias

That's the way I thought it should work.

The idea is to "migrate" client by client to keep the network traffic in shape.

I wish I could directly switch from the OS/390 to the AIX. It's not very "user-friendly" to say: Hey, if you want to restore your files, justlook on the first server. If the data is not there, try the other one...

Because there are some archive-clients with a retention of 1 year, I need to keep the OS/390 for about a year.

But it would be nice to do an export nodedata not a deviceclass but to another TSM-Server.

Thanks so far

Dirk

Dirk,

The export node feature is available with TSM 5.1 .

If you have archives with the default retention of 365days, then you are correct. The OS/390 need to be kept around for at least a year.

Sias

Back