Move to AIX platform

Rodney

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have performance issue on our growing enviroment. Our TSM server is running on a Windows server 2003 platform. We are planning to move to AIX. We have 300 clients and about 1.2TB data each night. What hardware you would recommend? P5 or P6?

Thanks
Rodney

We also have out grown our P570, I would recommend to go with the P6 series for future grow.

You are doing 1.2TB a night, how's your storage pools look like? We are doing 7-9TB a night and most of the scheduled backup finished in a timely manner in exception for DB being scheduled by the DBA's

That's not a lot of data per night. It could just be the configuration of the Windows server (i.e. how many backup networks are there? How much disk pool is used for nightly backups? How many processors? How much RAM?).

I do agree there is not that much data to backup. We are on a Gbit network but some old 2000 & NT4 boxes are only on 100 Mbit. Our IBM x365 box has 4 3.0Ghz CPU and 4Gb memory. It doesn't even support 64bit. We have 2 disk pool, 1 1TB and the other is 500GB. The most problem we have those servers with millions files that can't finish within the backup windows. In addition, we backup the NAS by mapped drives from a windows 2003 server. It took forever to finish the backup. I mean 40 hrs, but we don't use NDMP.

Thanks for all the reply
Rodney

Sounds like your issues are mostly client related. I'd recommend AIX over Windows any time - but eventually you'll find that this doesn't solve your problems.

PJ

Back