Move Nodedata command from one Storage pool to another

Perry_Custer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My question is when you run the move nodedata for a node and move it from one sequential access storage pool to a different one. How does TSM handle moving the associated copy storage pool data from the current copy storage pool where it resides to the one associated with the new sequential access storage pool? Does TSM do this on its own or is there another process that needs done to get the copy pool data to move as well as the onsite Sequential access storage pool data?

Hi, I think it works as usual. Once you've moved your nodedata from one stgpool to another the copypools will be updated with next backup of stgpools. It works incrementally, so in the source stgpool data will expire and will be backed up into the second stgpool.

I think that's only half true.

Yes the data will be backed up to the new copypool.

But it doesn't "expire" the old data out of the old copypool so you'll have an extra copy in there. Some files will expire out of the copypool naturally when the primary copy is also expired, but active files will never expire out.

I think you have to do a "move nodedata <node> fromstg=<oldcopypool>" for the node's data in the old copypool, to get all of that onto 1 old copypool tape. Then del vol that copypool tape (discard=yes). Try to get that node and only that node on the copypool tape you are going to delete.

Back