move nodedata between 2 copypools ???

obiwan2

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

we have 1 phys. Library with 2 Copypools assigned to it (CPool1 and CPool2).

How can we MOVE ALL THE DATA (residing on tapes in CPool1) to tapes in Copypool CPool2 ???

If not with "move nodedata ..." - what other command would work ?

Thanks

from "help move nodedata"

The data can be located in a primary storage pool, a copy storage pool, or an active-data pool.

I think it should work!

...don't believe that I didn't read the informations from "help move nodedata...." It's not as easy as you think....

A few lines to the bottom you can read:

TOstgpool
Specifies the name of a storage pool to which data will be moved.
This storage pool must be in the NATIVE or NONBLOCK data format. This
parameter is optional and does not apply when the source storage pool
is a copy storage
pool or an active-data pool. That is, if the source
storage pool is a copy
storage pool the destination must be the same
copy storage pool

Any suggestions... ?

Hi,

we have 1 phys. Library with 2 Copypools assigned to it (CPool1 and CPool2).

How can we MOVE ALL THE DATA (residing on tapes in CPool1) to tapes in Copypool CPool2 ???

If not with "move nodedata ..." - what other command would work ?

Thanks

See "help move data". This is volume specific, and may not what you really want.

"tostgpool" not a copypool thats right! you need to move your nodedata into a primary stgpool! then start a backup stgpool

@moon-buddy
See "help move data". This is volume specific, and may not what you really want.

"move data...." works ONLY within the SAME Storagepool (it doesn't matter if primary or copystoragepool....)

@toxy13
you need to move your nodedata into a primary stgpool! then start a backup stgpool

That doesn't work, because ... source is a copystoragepool -> destination MUST BE a copystoragepool !

It seems to be a very interesting question/problem......

move nodedata [xyz] fromstgpool=[1. primarypool] tostgpool=[2. primaryppol]

then

backup stgpool

doesn't work?

This works naturally.....but I'm not asking about moving data from a PRIMARY-Pool to another PRIMARY-Pool - my problem are two (!) COPYPOOLS and the data, that resides within 1 Pool and not in the other.

Here's an example:

CPool1 contains "normal" data AND Adudio/Video-Data
CPool2 is intended for holding these Audio/Video-Date ! And ONLY Audio/Video !!

The problem is now:

How can I move the Audio/Video-Data FROM CPool1 to CPool2 ?? BOTH Pools are COPYPOOLS !

ok, you have for each copy pool, an existing primarypool - right?

Last edited:
a suggestion, i don't know if it is a good idea:

change the copypool value for each primary pool:

prim1 -> copy1
prim2 -> copy2

to

prim1 -> copy2
prim2 -> copy1

and then start a backup stgpool ...

This works naturally.....but I'm not asking about moving data from a PRIMARY-Pool to another PRIMARY-Pool - my problem are two (!) COPYPOOLS and the data, that resides within 1 Pool and not in the other.

Here's an example:

CPool1 contains "normal" data AND Adudio/Video-Data
CPool2 is intended for holding these Audio/Video-Date ! And ONLY Audio/Video !!

The problem is now:

How can I move the Audio/Video-Data FROM CPool1 to CPool2 ?? BOTH Pools are COPYPOOLS !

As said, you have to move the data from the Primary1 to Primary2, then backup Primary2 to Copypool2. For all intent, you should have two primary pools and two copy pools wherein the copy pools mirror what you have on the primary pools.

You cannot move data from one copy pool to another (different) copy pool.

Here's a way to complete it. with 100% coverage.
Move the primary nodes to a new primary stgpool.
turn on collocation on the existing copy pool. Set up collocation groups such that the ones for the new pool are alone together.
Locate the volumes holding data for those nodes with q noded.
move data on those volumes - one at a time. That will cause collocation to be complete for all those nodes, such that you'll have volumes in the first copypool which contain only data you don't want in that pool.
If you can spare the mouintpoints, backup the new primary stg to the new copypool. while you're doing the series of move datas. Once all the data you want out of the old copypool is backed up to the new copypool, you can delete volume discarddata=yes on the volumes which now contain only unwanted data in the old copypool, turn off the collocation (unless you want it), and you're done.

Here's a way to complete it. with 100% coverage.
Move the primary nodes to a new primary stgpool.
turn on collocation on the existing copy pool. Set up collocation groups such that the ones for the new pool are alone together.
Locate the volumes holding data for those nodes with q noded.
move data on those volumes - one at a time. That will cause collocation to be complete for all those nodes, such that you'll have volumes in the first copypool which contain only data you don't want in that pool.
If you can spare the mouintpoints, backup the new primary stg to the new copypool. while you're doing the series of move datas. Once all the data you want out of the old copypool is backed up to the new copypool, you can delete volume discarddata=yes on the volumes which now contain only unwanted data in the old copypool, turn off the collocation (unless you want it), and you're done.

THAT'S REALLY a good idea !!!! Many thanks for this hint !! I'll discuss it with my colleagues and -hopefully- this is the solution !

Back