move data

adamsnir

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I searched for it but i Couldnt find so i hope you can end my search for good or bad..

I'd like to know - is it possible to take data of one node and move it to a tape i choose ?
or taking few nodes and move it to a tape i choose ?

I have atm a Storage pool of tapes that have nodes backing up data to there atm...

so if it is possible what steps need to be taken in order to do it ?

The book answer is 'no'. Reason being is TSM was not designed this way. TSM was designed so you would not have to micromanage the tapes but rather allow TSM to manage the tapes for you.

If you describe the goal/requirement you are trying to reach, perhaps we could offer suggestions on how to accomplish that goal/requirement.

The 'real' answer, 'sure'. The means to get TSM to force a node to a specific tape is not easy, ideal nor recommended. You could create a tape storage pool, with one tape in it and assign the node you want to go to that tape. What a big headache!

Other thoughts - have you looked at collocation? (node collocation and group collocation?) Collocation would allow one node to one tape (not a tape you choose) or a group of nodes to one tape (not a tape you choose - see TSM wants to manage these tapes for you).

i was fearing that...
what u mean is i need to create a storage pool with 1 disk assign and do move nodedata into this storage pool ..
correct ?

or how about doing this move nodedata in the same storage pool

that suppose to gather all the tapes that have this node data on this and transfer this data in a tape that the tsm will load ..

the only question i think about is... will it happen and if it will... will the tsm take a scratch tape ?

What I mean is to not do it :D

It is possible but TSM is going to manage the tape(s) whether you do or not. And you mentioned in your initial post sending node(s) data to a specific tape volume, but it is the same for disk or tape. Just have a storage pool and add what disk/tape volumes you want to it.

Just because TSM is flexible in what it allows you to do, doesn't mean you should.

yes you are right...
but I do not use collocation and i dont want to use it since i dont really need it....
lets say you want to save an offsite tape outside your library with a data of your node - and only that node- how will u do it ?

Are you using TSM EE (with DRM)? Assuming you are, I would probably put the single node in it's own primary storage pool (if just one node is going offsite then I would skip the disk - of course it depends on the environment - and go to tape directly so I only need one primary pool for the node. Then send that node to my main copy pool, if I had a main copy pool (but then I would look at using collocation so it's data doesn't get spread across 50 tapes). If I didn't have a main copypool, I would create a copy pool just for the one node so TSM manages the tapes.

This is a fine setup, but you don't have to decide what tape TSM uses, unless you have a reason for that as well?

If backupsets are sufficient for you needs then perhaps that route would be better? To me this means a little more management, but then you don't have to create the two or three storage pools just for the one node.

Those are the two ways I would look at going about it first.

Since im not using tsm with drm I would go on the option of backupset --- that looks like a solution that was build in for this

thanks a lot for your help. :) !!!

Back