MountWait option for differetial backups

simplexwin

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've got an issue regarding the TDPSQL.

We have a TSM Server on AIX v5.5.3.0.
We have a SQL Server 2005.

I was running the

tdpsqlc query tsm xxxxx full
/fromsqlserver=xxxxxxxx
/fileinfo

command to get the database files list in the tsm backup but ran into the following error message: ANS1309I (RC9) The requested data is offline.

I found that the /mountwait=yes option needs to be specified if the backup is going to a tape storagepool and it worked file.

However the same command for differential backups

tdpsqlc query tsm xxxxx difffull
/fromsqlserver=xxxxxxxx
/fileinfo /MountWait=YES

Faild with invalid parameter exception.

Any ideas why it could happen? It seems this option is available in GUI for differential backups.

Thanks in advance
Sergey

Thank you for reply

This is what the documentation says about MOUNTWaitfordata

The "MOUNTWaitfordata" configuration setting can be specified in the Data Protection for SQL configuration file (tdpsql.cfg by default) or changed by selecting or de-selecting the "Wait for Tape Mounts for Restore" checkbox. It is important to note that when setting the "MOUNTWaitfordata" configuration setting in the configuration file, it will only affect the behavior when performing a backup or a restore operation. There is no parameter to change the default for the behavior when performing a query operation, which is the "Wait for Tape Mounts for File Information" checkbox.

So this option does not affect query operation.

I was wondering why SQL CLI /MOUNTWait=Yes|No option does not work for difffull backups.

Any ideas?

Sorry... did read your query correctly! and we do only Full/logs backup. but from what i look in the tdpsqlc help

if you do. tdpsqlc help query these are the option.. and montwait is not there! and i'm scratching my head to with the same question you have.. why it's not there!

Code:
TDPSQLC Query TSM *|dbname[,dbname,...]  Difffull
 [/ACtive]
 [/ALl]
 [/BUFFers=numbuffers]              default: 3    (or cfg value)
 [/BUFFERSIze=buffersizeinkb]       default: 1024 (or cfg value)
 [/COMPATibilityinfo]
 [/CONFIGfile=configfilename]       default: tdpsql.cfg
 [/FILEInfo]
 [/FROMSQLserver=sqlservername]     default: sqlserver value (or cfg value)
 [/LOGFile=logfilename]             default: tdpsql.log (or cfg value)
 [/LOGPrune=numdays|No]             default: 60   (or cfg value)
 [/OBJect=*|objectname[,objectname,...]]
 [/TSMNODe=tsmnodename              default: dsm.opt value
 [/TSMOPTFile=dsmoptfilename]       default: dsm.opt
 [/TSMPassword=tsmpassword]         default: dsm.opt value

Did you do the modification in the tdpsql.cfg?? Worth the try.

CHeers

I am developing the application that interacts with TSM via tdpsqlc, so I can not modify the tdpsql.cfg.

That was a good idea to list all command parameters via tdpsqlc help query - the option is not there for difffull.

The /MOUNTWait tells the TSM to wait for an offline storage volume to be mounted for the operation. So I wonder if the differential backups are always on disk (online) storage pools? WTF?

Regards

Back