Most accurate way to find the size of backup environment

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Ok,

i am at my wits end here. I need to figure out how large my backup environement is, what i mean, is if i was forced to perform a full backup of every server, how large that backup will be.

I have ran export node commands (export node * filed=alla preview=yes and with filed=backupa) and get a set of numbers back (when the stupid command actually completes, well over 1000 nodes, not doing them 1 by 1), i have ran a couple SQL select statements that return a different set of numbers. i even ran a q fi, and did the math there.. a different set of numbers...

why is there nothing that can easily show me how large my environment is....

i am frusterated and dont have the time to sit there and do up export node commands for god know how many weeks it would take..

does anyone have any suggestions, even third party tools taht may get this info?

Would this do?

'SELECT node_name,CAST(FLOAT(SUM(logical_mb)) / 1024 AS DEC(8,2)) FROM occupancy GROUP BY node_name' - this list the total backup done for each node.

A measure of "how large your environment is", will vary depending on circumstances. But you specifically stated you wanted to know how big a full backup of all your nodes would be. That can be gathered using this down and dirty select.

select node_name,sum(capacity*pct_util/100) from filespaces group by node_name

Of course a node export is going send more data than just the size of a full backup unless you specifically choose to export active objects.

Back