Monitoring with dsmadmc

PierCed_3

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I was just in a class and I forgot what the peramiter for monitoring through the Administrative Command Prompt was, could you help me out?

I remember dsmadmc and then there was a - something......

Andrew

I just want to monitor what TSM does all day long and in particular what commands are being used when they are being made. I actually had a moment of clarity and I remembered the command, it's actually great for just monitoring what is going on in the environment. You have to be in the command prompt of your OS and then in the directory of the baclient. From there you type dsmadmc -console.

If you haven't tried this feature I would suggest using it, it is teaching me a lot about what happens daily in my environment.

Andrew

Andrew-

I think you are referring to have an admin command console...
This will allow you watch all the activities going on thru TSM Admin Command line.
You can pipe it out to a file as well...

Console Mode
Use console mode to monitor Tivoli Storage Manager activities as they occur or to capture processing messages to an output file. For example, you can monitor migration processes and clients logging on to Tivoli Storage Manager. You cannot enter any administrative commands in console mode.

To start an administrative client session in console mode, enter:

dsmadmc -consolemode

You are prompted for a password if authentication is turned on for the server. If you do not want to be prompted for your user ID and password, enter the DSMADMC command with the -ID and -PASSWORD options.

To have Tivoli Storage Manager redirect all output to a file, specify the -OUTFILE option with a destination file name. For example, enter:

dsmadmc -id=sullivan -password=secret -consolemode -outfile=save.out

I do not have the DSMADMC in my baclient folder.I would like to use it in "consolemode" so I could monitor the system! I am using version 5.5. Where is it???? Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
I presume you are on a Windows box. You need to install the command line tools which aren't installed by default. Go back to the client installer and select custom or advanced (can't remember exactly) and you will see it there.

It is not installed by default. You should re-run your TSM BA client installation, choose "custom" and then choose "admin console"

THANKS! i GOT THE FILES FROM THE OLD BACLIENT!!!

Back