migration of data to disk by age

jbautista

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi,

i'm a newbie here. my problem is im trying to migrate data from disk to tape. currently im using tsm 5.3 running on AIX 5.3 ml04. i have an archive pool sitting on a disk. what i want to do is only migrate those data which is a 1 year old (365 days) to the tape. i tried updating the migdelay value to 365 and still it didnt work. i saw the same problem from a different forum suggesting that i should change also my highmig and lowmig to value zero to trigger the migration but im afraid it will migrate everything to tape. currently my highmig and logmig are set to 80 and 40 respectively.

thanks in advance for the help

The migdelay sets how long something must be in the pool before it is migrated to the next pool. Setting that to 365 forces the data to remain in the pool for 365 days. After that time, it can be migrated based on the migration thresholds. If you were to lower the threshold, only data older than 365 days will be migrated. You can test this by setting up a new pool and use that for the migration pool. If it doesn't do what you expect, you can move all the data back either via migration or by 'move data'

-Aaron

what do you mean lower the treshold, both high and low mig set to 0?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to empty the pool of all data older than 365 days, then set the low threshold to 0 and the high threshold to something less than what it currently running at (i.e. if you're at 80 now, set it to 60) Once the migration completes, set the high threshold back to what it was before you forced the migration. If you want to lower the amount of data in the pool to make room for new data, you can leave the low threshold alone and just lower the high threshold. This will start a migration process that will move data until it reaches the low threshold and then stop.

-Aaron

Auto-restore ability for data migrated by scripting

Is there any way to make the files come back like on the good old Mainframe when the user needs to access them, like the old Sterling DMS product did with Archive/Auto-Restore? We need something like that on the Windows platform.

Back