Migration from Windows to Linux

Vlkino

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

this is mine first post.
Currently we are struggling with migration from Windows Server 2012 with TSM 8.1.3 and target is Linux RHEL 8.8.
We tried few attempts like classic backup and restore DB - which we find out it's not supported
Another one was exctractdb with same result - not supported.
Then i found in here the only way is export/import server.
Can someone confirm me that this is only scenario which is applicable on our customer?

If yes, what is the correct way to export and import it? Customer want have minimum downtime, and we want to avoid migration over the network.
Is there way to use Export server just for db and then use other filedata?

Old system as i mention Windows Server 2012 with TSM 8.1.3 - data on server and on the disk pool, with old tape library aprox 1400 tapes mainly LTO6 and few aprox 200 LTO4 tapes.
New system will have one server RHEL 8.8 with TSM and second one will have vSNAP for Spectrum protect plus in virtual appliance and with new tape library - LTO9 tapes.

Any help/suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

For reason that you are going from Windows to a UNIX type environment ( LINUX, AIX, etc .. ) just working with the Database probably will not work. TSM is specific with Drive Letters and UNIX locations.

You don't mention what is loading TSM with data ? Meaning such as IBM OnDemand, CMOD, Filenet, other ?

We had CMOD and went from AIX Environment to Window .. Our method was to use CMOD Export / Import
Had a lot of data so took almost 12 months, however started from the newest to oldest, so customer had their data that was accessed the most, then utilized both systems until completed

Hi Scr1pt, thanks for the link we check it but instead of read carefully all options we jump on the last one where is the mentioned whitepaper for migration between platfrom aix - linux which was firstly used. This was that what was not working, then we was thinking about export/import. We completely ignore first one which is replicating data. Yesterday we check old tsm how many nodes and data we need to replicate if we will shred it on minimum then we are speaking about 86 nodes and aprox almost 500Tb of data. But it looks like this will be the way how we will do it.

Jneetz, to be honest i dont understand what is loading TSM data ( im working with tsm only aprox 6 months ) but i will tried answer. TSM is mainly load from clients with data client, and SONAS.

Back