Migrate from Directory storage pool to Cloud storage pool

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Originally deployed a SP server in Azure before SP supported Azure containers. Now, my upgraded my SP server does support Azure containers so I want to make the switch.

Currently having some trouble getting SP to connect to the container using HTTPS, but I believe that problem will soon be resolved.

So, once my Cloud container-based storage pool is available I would like to migrate/move my existing filespaces from the directory-based pool to the container-based pool. There does not appear to be a 'supported' way to migrate this data. Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to pull off this magic trick?

PREDATAR Control23

Silly me, I was looking for a 'move data' or 'migrate' or setting up a 'next' stgp. Tiering looks like it will move the data into the Cloud pool, just need to test and determine how to eventually remove the original Directory pool. Thanks Marclant, now off to do some testing...

PREDATAR Control23

Once the pool is empty, you should be able to get rid of it.

I guess you could also keep it, but reduce the size. Depending on the type of data you are storing, keep a few days worth in the directory container before migrating it to the cloud. Most restores are the latest version, so they would be quicker.

PREDATAR Control23

That worked great to migrate the data, but now I cannot delete the Directory pool I created for the test. Getting this error:

Protect: TESTSERVER>delete stgpooldir testdir \\xxxxxxxxxx.file.core.windows.net\tsmtest\tsm
ANR3646E DELETE STGPOOLDIRECTORY: Storage pool directory \\xxxxxxxxxx.file.core.windows.net\tsmtest\tsm has an access mode of DESTROYED and has active data.
ANS8001I Return code 27.

Found an APAR that describes this error, but it is marked a 'Closed as unreproducible' but also says it was fixed in v7.1.4? Seems weird, they can't reproduce the error, but they fixed it! Anyway, my problem might be related to my 'delay reuse' setting. I had it set to 1 when I went through the commands to try and prep the directory for deletion. I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for pointing me to that tiering function.:)

PREDATAR Control23

Anyway, my problem might be related to my 'delay reuse' setting. I had it set to 1 when I went through the commands to try and prep the directory for deletion. I'll have to wait and see.
Probably. Waiting is the best thing if you are not in a rush to get the disk space back.