Manually remove TSM client v5.3.6

mitchschultz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
What started out as a Windows 2000 server running the TSM client version 5.3.6, was then upgraded to Windows Server 2003. Unfortunately, the TSM client was not upgraded prior to the server upgrade, and this version of the TSM client is not compatible with Windows 2003 server. I am not able to uninstall the TSM client in order to install a version of the TSM client that is supported. If I try add/remove programs, I get the following error:

[FONT=&quot]The operating system is not adequate for running IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client[/FONT]

Is there a way to manually uninstall the TSM client from the Windows 2003 server so that we can install a newer version?

In the windows registry, I think all of TSM's info is in an adsm key. If you clean out all adsm entries and delete the existing client code, you should be able to do a clean install of supported code. For XP, the key is \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM. I'm not sure if it's exactly same in 2003.

Last edited:
VBS Script

Thanks for the link to the VBS script, Wipet. Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with VBS, but have no problem trying to figure it out. I'm going to "assume" that there is some configuration options I need to include in this script - ie: InstalledAppName, GUID...

I hope that I am heading in the right direction with this. Again, clueless about VBS Script, but good at making logical/educational guesses.

I would love to try and see if this script will remove the older version of the TSM Client, but don't want to try it completely blind. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

nope... It should be a totally working independent script... ( if you have a windows test) machine try it.. There are actually to way to start it.

Since Every version of TSM got a different GUID and using msiexec is more stable if you use the GUID name rather than the APP name, What the script does.. is it's look for the "TSM GUID" number in the this pregistry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall of the machine. What ever version you have of TSM BA clients.. I've test it with TSM 5.3,5.4 and 5.5

After grabing the GUID number, it launch the msiexec command line with the /x (uninstall) and /qb for (besic User Interface)

'Const AppName = XXXX' I know that it work for the BA client... I did some test for MS SQL but cannot guarantee that it works.. This little script is a test that a did for a bigger script that have a GUI, to the installation/upgrade/uninstallation + configuration of the client with some In house parameter and naming convention..

Double click on the vbs files. ( create a text file paste the code in to it) rename the .txt to .vbs

Or you can run it from the command line ex:

c:\windows\cscript unintallTSM.vbs

If you have any error feel free to send it to me.. I'll help you debug the code.

Last edited:
Love point number 9... Thanks jacob for this... I will add it to my bigger script...

I have the same issue.
Did an inplace upgrade on the win2k server running tsm client 5.3.6 and now I can not uninstall or install over it. We have several servers like this so I am trying to avoid rebuilding all of them.

The IBM link above is not working. I have tried removing the ibm and tivoli keys from the registry, I used the dsmcutil to remove the services, I removed several dll's but no luck. I hope someone can help

I talked to a friend, here is a copy of the steps:

The following procedures need to be run in order to completely remove the TSM client/server software:
  1. Stop all TSM services that may be running on the machine, using either the 'dsmcutil stop' , 'net stop', or the Services control panel applet. Use the 'dsmcutil list' command to see a list of installed services that must be stopped.

1. Go to the add/remove programs and verify that Tivoli Storage Manager products do not exist in any form. If they do, remove them all. Also check the "Tivoli Storage Manager" program group to see if there may be any other clients installed that can be removed.

1. Remove any/all directory structures of the TSM Client/API files. Error logs and option files may remain as they are not installed by the Client installation process. (i.e. C:\program files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\)

1. Remove/delete shortcuts from the desktop/start menu programs.

1. Remove any/all extracted, pre-installation client files. For example, you might have a c:\tsm_images directory. Delete these folders entirely.

1. Open Registry using regedit and export the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM] and all of its subkeys to a file (in case we need to restore them).

1. Export the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControllSet\Servi ces] key as well.

1. Remove/delete the ADSM subkey: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM].

1. Remove/delete the following subkeys from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControllSet\Servi ces]
    • * TSM Server 1
    • * TSM Client Acceptor
    • * TSM Scheduler
    • * TSM Client Performance
    • * TSM Remote Client Agent
    • Note: The above services may vary depending on what software (client vs. server) was installed on the system and what TSM services are in use. Use the output from 'dsmcutil list' to confirm the installed services.

1. Reboot the machine.

1. Verify that the above is done (if removed, that it doesn't exist; if keys deleted, that they are truly gone).

** For additional information on editing the Windows Registry, please see Microsoft article 136393

It looks like IBM pulled the document.
user_offline.gif

Back