Manual backup works, SQL agent does not.

osi9400

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
here's the setup:
- Windows Server 2003 R2
- MSSQL Server 2005
- TSM BAC 5.5.2.0
- TDPSQL 5.5.2.0
- Two Windows servers are clustered

I created two scripts (SQLFULL.CMD and SQLINCR.CMD) and can run both manually. They work great.

When I try to run via a SQL agent or with the query "
xp_cmdshell
'G:\Micros~1\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\sqlfull.cmd';" it fails with the following: "
ACO5716W An error was encountered with Tivoli Storage Manager API initialization, rc = 106.
Examine the dsierror.log for more information or determine if the TSM API is installed properly."

I checked the dsierror.log file and it is empty.

I can run other xp_cmdshell commands just fine. for example "xp_cmdshell ;ping localhost' and I get the ping results.

I have removed, rebooted, and reinstalled both Tivoli clients.

Why can I run the script manually, but not from within SQL Server?

Thanks.

Can we see the script itself? Maybe you are using something you have in user PATH, that can be executed when you are in your user env (logged in)?

Thanks for the response. Here is the code to SQLFULL.CMD:

Code:
set tsm_dir=C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql
set sql_dir=G:\Micros~1\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup

date < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
time < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

%tsm_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmnode=WMSTUTDEVRTS_S /tsmp=XXXXXXX /tsmoptfile=%tsm_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

If I look at a couple sqlfull.cmd examples from installs I've done (granted these files are a year or two old)...I don't see an tsm_dir variable...just an sql_dir and it points to the tdpsql folder...below is an example of what I mean:

rem ==================================================================
rem Replace "X:" with the drive where the SQL application client
rem is installed.
rem ( ensure the correct path is where this sample is in the
rem default install path )
rem ==================================================================
set sql_dir=C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql

then the command itself:
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

check this one:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...78&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct669tivoli

it is not exactly your case, but can be hepful - rc = 106 is definitely pointing in the direction that tsm api can't write log because of file permission. Try to export 'DSMI_LOG' as system env variable, or cd to proper directory (tsm_dir) inside your script before actual tdpsqlc operation, check ntfs permission of dsierror.log...

Thanks, one more question

Thanks for the help, I will check out that document.

Are there any special considerations since these are clustered servers (active/passive). The drives and databases can pass between the two nodes.

Solution found.

Thanks everyone for your help. The API error posted below solved my problem. I had to do two things:

Add a line to my dsm.opt file defining an error log in a directory that SQL Server could write to:
That line is:
Code:
errorlogname C:\Progra~1\Mi6841~1\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Backup\dsmerror.log

Obvisouly, the log files needed to also be in a writable location. so here is the SQLFULL.CMD script:

Code:
set tsm_dir=C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql
set sql_dir=C:\Progra~1\Mi6841~1\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Backup

date < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
time < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

%tsm_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmnode=WMSTUTENG1_S /tsmp=xxxxxx /tsmoptfile=%tsm_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

Back