Making TSM scripts run OS commands

Murkin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know of a way under win2k to make TSM's scripts or macros execute OS commands ? (For instance run a simple batch)

Thanks

Hi!

I got exactly the same problem. But after alot of thought I sow that. That is impossible.

So the only way to sold that problem is to think the another way.

Run TSM Command from a OS Command line.

That is what we do. In that way you can do both things what you want.

What we do is.

We take out that information we want. Look in the information and get out what we searching for. Do some new commands and after that. We email over all data to our internal TSM email account.

Good luck

Actually its very easy to have TSM kick off windows command/batch scripting.

its actually a requirement for using TDP for domino on Wintel (and perhaps a few other

TDPs) all you do is specify on the TSM Server side a Client schedule with type=command (rather than type=action) and then in the object field specify the pathname and filename o the script.

Easy stuff.

Now the real trick , is , if you want ultraaccurate reporting, you may need to incorporate some logging into the script itsself ...........I never have the need for that granular level of information, but some folks do.

Brandon

My suggestion would be to use the PRESchedulecmd and POSTSchedulecmd in the dsm.opt for any scripts or batch files that need to run before a backup. I like using these because TSM is able to receive the info on the backup and it works great for stopping and starting a DB for incrementals to run. We just set one up to shutdown 3 services in order, run the incremental, then restart the services in a particular order and it worked flawlessly. Make sure you set the full path in the script name and that the account the TSM Scheduler service runs under has permission to run the scripts and perform any task the scripts need to execute successfully.

Chad Small

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

:p

I am having trouble finding help on the exact syntax for the preschedulecmd :confused:

I have tried various variants of preschedulecmd 'NET STOP "NutritionistPro Database Server"'

The service has spaces in the name, which adds to the question of what type of quote goes where.

I have been able to use a similiar command to stop other services OK.

When you try to use help define clientop preschedulecmd, you get nothing - yet when you try to use help define clientop, you just get the fact that preschedulecmd is an option. So how can I figure out the details of this command?

in fact the preschedulecmd and postchedulecmd just "Lunch a command scripted in a file" and not make a command

if you want to stop a service before the backup you have to creat a file named (exmpl: toto) icluding the command "Net Stop service"

then on the dsm.opt specified:

preschedulecmd c:\toto

that's all

Back