make the active data, inactive

rogwall

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have moved a bunch of nodes to a new server, the old server still has data for those nodes and obviously the active data will remain active forever there.

What I want to do is to make all the "active data" on the old server for those particular nodes and make it "inactive" and let that data die after its retention period. I don't think delete filespace will do it for me, as it deletes the data forever instead of expiring it and letting it die its own death.

Any help appreciated. Is there a method to do it on the server, or will i have to run some command no the client to expire all data on old server?

thanks,

This is actually pretty easy.

Pick a machine that you are currently backing up and rename it to the server you wish to expire.

Modify the include/exclude to exclude verything, then run a backup.

TSM will see all of the files as deleted and expire them normally.

Obviously, once you are finished with the backup you will have to name the server back to its origional name.

-G

i can use the same node to do that as it is having two separate stanzas for the two servers.

how to exclude "everything", there is no such thing as -ALL-LOCAL?

thanks

will putting the line "exclude /.../*" in dsm.sys

and then running "dsmc back -ver" will do what i require?

or is there a better way?

thanks.

put the line "exclude /.../*" in dsm.sys

and run command "dsmc back -verbose"

runnnig incremental backup would NOT expire, running backup WILL.

did what I wanted...

thanks

:lol:

I would just let the data sit until it reaches it retention time then allow the tapes to be reused by overwriting the label when assigning to a new server. We do this when we refresh servers. Easier than deleting it and keeps it available until you want to reuse the tapes. In many cases we leave the "problem systems" tapes a little longer in case of issues with a file being needed that technically is beyond the retention time but makes us look good.

How would I know what data is on what physical tape.

The scenario is as follows:

we are migrating our nodes to a new server somewhere else under someone else's maangement/administration. Our tapes will not be used there.

It's just that those nodes, instead of being backed up on our server, will be backed up to that someone else's server. And our server will never know about it.

Back