Magstar 3570, Windows 2000 and TSM 5.2

alexdh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tectrade.co.uk
I am running TSM Server 5.1.6.0 on a Windows 2000 Server platform. My library is an old 3570 B02 dualdrive Magstar MP, attached to the server via an Adaptec 2944 SCSI card. I use the latest 5.0.4.7 device drivers.

Last friday, I performed an upgrade to serverlevel 5.2.0.0. After the upgrade, I wasn´t able to see the library and/or my tapedrives. I followed the recommended installation procedure (serverlevel-upgrade and after that, TSM device-driver upgrade), made sure that the TSM-devicedriver was used to control the library etc etc. I tried every possible combination, disabling devices in Windows, trying alternate bootsequences, but I couldn´t get the TSM server to recognize its devices. In Windows, everything was ok, but in TSM, it all failed.

Anyone has a clue what went wrong?

I don't know if this will help, but it would be worth a try if you don't come up with an answer. I have a 2944 scsi card too, and I had to change the SCSI speed to "half 20mb" instead of the usual default wide "40mb" just to get my server to recognize it. I thought it would slow down my performance but it wasn't noticeable. (When the server is booting there is an opportunity to enter the SCSI setup to make this change.) :cool:

I experienced the same problem at our test server last week. I tried nearly everything.

In the TSM Manager Console the ITSM Device driver says it could not start as the diveice could not be found. No errors are shown in the event viewer "TSM Device Driver" section.

Using the command c:\tivoli\tsm\console\tsmdlst.exe the changer device is not listed as shown in following output:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Name: TSMSRV

TSM Device Driver: Not Running (TSM information may not be accurate)

TSM Name ID LUN Bus Port SSN WWN TSM Type D

evice Identifier

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mt0.0.0.2 0 0 0 2 - - 3570 IBM 03570B12 4287

mt1.0.0.2 1 0 0 2 - - 3570 IBM 03570B12 4287

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday I did a last try and reconfigured the devices manually.

I could configure the library and the drives as well as its pathes witoout a proble. My TSM Server works fine for the moment. The library is accessed even if the changer device is not shown (output above). In the TSM Manager Console the device manager is still not started.

In my opinion IBM (or Tivoli) have a bug (or a feature) build in the version 5.2 os the TSM Server. The error still existe in TSM 5.2.0.1

I hope this will help you get your system doing backups again.

:confused:

I´ve found out what the problem is.

See this exerpt from the readme file from the TSM device driver V5.2:

IBM DEVICE SUPPORT ON WINDOWS REMOVED

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager device driver version 5.2 no longer supports IBM

devices, i.e. IBM 3570, IBM 3575, IBM 3590, IBM 3581, IBM 3583 and IBM 3584

on Windows. Users can download the IBM device drivers from the following ftp

sites.

Windows: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Win2000

WinNT: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/WinNT

Apperently, when installing TSM 5.2 with TSM device driver 5.2, you lose support for the mentioned devices. The only way to use these types of devices is to implement the IBM device drivers. Problem solved.

Back