LTO and LTO2 on the same library

cianco

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've a library with 6 LTO tape drive. I want upgrade 3 tape drive to LTO2.

The library's manufacturer said me that's possible.

But TSM works fine in this new configuration? I've problem if I define 2 device class on the same library? Could I have problems? If I have 2 different device-class defined on the same library, obviously, I have different storage pool on the same library ... but how TSM locate a scratch LTO if the library contains LTO and LTO2 tapes? If a storage pool needs a scratch volume how TSM find it? Using the column DeviceType of the tables libvolumes?

I have 4 4560Slx library with a lift betwwen...its possible to have more deciceclass.

Each deviceclass have personal parameters from DRIVES and FORMAT (ultrium, ultriumC, ultrium2...etc). In this case, you have need too more LTOPOOLS whitch point to they properly deviceclass...

You have need too, more LTOPOOLS for dispatch your datas to differents LTOCLASS

This solution is good and performance are very good for backup...the LTO2 is very speed

and the location from files are more simply...in restore.

For example, I use LTO2 for backup/restore in line...and LTO1 for BackupSet and Archives.

For best results in restore/backup this solution is much better whith 2 host adapters or more ...for dispatch data, the adaptec card 320 is very good...with MOVEBATCHSIZE parameter in dsmserv.opt to 1000...for any library...very important.

-One adapter to 3 drives

-The other adapter...to the others 3 drives

Bye

Filou

thanks a lot Filou,

I'll try the option MOVEBATCHSIZE.

At this moment the most important thing is to be sute that TSM works with different LTO drive in the same library (LTO1 and LTO2).

In the while I'll ask my boss to by another adapter card :))

Bye an thanks again

Gianni

Back