LTO 4 drives performance with 6.3

kongfranon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Running TSM 6.3 on a high end brand new server with 32 GB Ram, multiple proc, Redhat 6.2

I currently have 3 LTO 4 fiber drives attached to my system.

The amount of data that is backed up daily is 3 TB. We migrate that every night and spill it to tape, and then back it up to offsite pool.

The migration from disk to tape takes approx 5 hours. The backup copy also takes 5 hours.

Is this normal? 5 hours with 3 LTO 4 drives?

If I added more drives do you think that will speed it up?

Basic rule: more drives, faster data transfer provided all is setup correctly.

Question, how are the drives wired? Does the drives have individual HBAs?

yes all 3 drives do, and all plugged on a 8 gb fiber channel switch. During migration I noticed it only uses 1 of the drives. Is there a way to increase how many drives it can use at one time from migration? I have mount limit set to 3 on the storage pool. During the actual backup to offsite pool it uses 2.

yes all 3 drives do, and all plugged on a 8 gb fiber channel switch. During migration I noticed it only uses 1 of the drives. Is there a way to increase how many drives it can use at one time from migration? I have mount limit set to 3 on the storage pool. During the actual backup to offsite pool it uses 2.

Increase the migration value see 'help update stgpool' - look for the parameter MIGPROCESS.

Increase the migration value see 'help update stgpool' - look for the parameter MIGPROCESS.

Thanks I changed it to 3, and so far I now have 3 different tapes being mounted, so hoping this might speed it up.

Back