LTO 3584 Tape problems on LTO G2 drives

erik.manders

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

We got a huge problem on our hands by not being able to get data of outr LTO tapes. We use LTO1 tapes in LTO2 drives (before we used LTO1 tapes and drives) We're now facing an ugly restore of a fileservers filesystem containing 4 mil. files of home dir data...All small files like ie temp files, cookies excel sheets word doc, that kinda stuff..

Restore is impossible.

We tried now for weeks to get the damn data of the tape but without any luck (merely a couple of hundred MB's yeeee)

Traces on TSM reveil that the heavily fragmented tapes (due to time and expiration) are likely the bottleneck in this restore problem. Also, this is a known issue with IBM (PMR)

Traces show that during a restore of the problem data the LTO drive is about 90% busy locating data. Furthermore is I read the Cartridge Memory from tape is says that the tape being mounted has about 6 unrecoverable errors logged. TSM on the other hand reports 0 (thats richt, zero, nada) read and write errors (this with 5.1.8.1) SO is this peice of bugware not communicatin with the level 3 error data the FC/SCSI interface provides??

A whole inventory of CM logpage 30 info reveils that 30% of our tapes had unrecovered read and/or write errors on it.. Great. Did I mis that tsm option: F*CKUPTHELTOTAPES=YES ??

Any guys (or girls) out there had the same problems? Like very very poor restore performance on filesystems with 4 mil or up of files, and not interfaqcing to the LTO error sense data?? (Our Magstar 3575 used to work great)

Cheers, Erik

I currently have an ODD problem with LTO2 tapes/drives too.

I backup my oracle DB each day to LTO2 (1.6 TB ) at +/ 400GB/H using LANFREE

Till now I was never able to restore that DB correctly , always 1 or two files unreadable

with MSG

ANR8302E I/O error on drive L1D2

(/dev/rmt/15stc) (OP=READ, Error Number=16, CC=0,

and

ANR1165E Error detected for file in storage

Performance is not an issue as each file being backup is +/- 8 GB in size.

I have a PMR opened with IBM ...

Back