locale issues

km92

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am relatively new to TSM, so pleas bear with me if this is more straightforward than I think.

My server is v5.2.2.1.

One of my clients, which acts as a samba server, is giving errors due to locale/character set issues. The error is

fioScanDirEntry(): Object '/USERS/...' contains unrecognized symbols for current locale, skipping...

The client is a RedHat 9 system, which has client version 5.3.4.0 installed (yes, I know this is ahead of the server version). Note that the client system locale is the default for RedHat 9, which is en_US.UTF-8

Googling suggested setting the LANG and LC_ALL might fix the problem, and I tried running an incremental via

$ ( LANG=en_US ; LC_ALL=en_US ; export LANG LC_ALL ; dsmc incremental /USERS )

i.e. inside a subshell with LANG and LC_ALL set to en_US. This seemed to work, there was no files reported as skipped due to locale issues.

I therefore added these settings to script in /etc/init.d that starts the client scheduler, and restarted it. However that seems NOT to work, the settings are either being ignored or overwritten somewhere else? I do see they are active in the environmet for dsmc though, via checking /proc/<dsmc's pid>/environ

Suggestions?

Kevin

Back