Little Volumes with Virtual Volumes

dcz01

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello together,

i have an weiring problem with an actual TSM server 7.1.5.200 which is backing up his data to another TSM server 7.1.5.200 with virtual volumes.
Normaly i use an virtual volume maximum capacity of 4 GB but many of them get only about 100 MB to 1 GB.
The data is backed up twice a day and there are always about 100 GB of changes on the primary TSM server.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Hi dcz01,

are these new volumes being created with a smaller size? or the same volumes reclaimed and now storing less data? how much space is available in your VTL repository?

I have seen that before. The volumes are small, 95-100% util and does not get reclaimed until you have a reclaimthreshold of 99%. You can write a script to move the data from small volumes to new volumes, and hopefully you will clean up the small volumes.

@tsmguy Yes, only new volumes created are them with the small size. Also the reclaimed volumes at some time get only a small size. Available space is enough in the storage pool (about 50% only).

@Trident We tested this before by manually move data from the pool to the same pool but at other time the small volumes are present again.

Back