Linux/Lin_Tape/Sandiscovery

janecb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I have compiled the latest Lin_tape and installed lin_taped on my Linux RHEL5 server.. I am using a Netapp Nearstor VTL emulating IBM LTO4 drives. Sandiscovery will not work, and at best will crash the system every few hours or so unless it is turned off - / or set to PASSIVE. When I scan the system, the drives are dicovered and connected to the lin_tape driver:
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 022C
lin_tape: successfully attached IBMtape0
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 022C
lin_tape: successfully attached IBMtape1
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 3

but as soon as tapes start loading we get various errors:
lin_tape: IBMtape20----51868 tape_logsense_page() unable to do log sense
lin_tape: IBMtape20----51868 tape_logsense_page() unable to do log sense
lin_tape: IBMChgr1-----80401 changer_check_result() sensekey: 6 asc: 28 ascq: 0
lin_tape: IBMtape19----b4fb0 tape_set_all_parms() unable to change recovery timeouts

The crashing has become very annoying - IBM recommends a QLogic hba driver that is not supported by QLogic or RHEL5 (8.01.06) We have 8.02.23 - but that might not be related.

IBM has been studying the information for a while now.. but this is getting very frustrated. The lin_tape compiled without error for my kernel.

Sandiscovery will not adjust the devices as it does on AIX perfectly..

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jane

Were you able to make any progress with IBM or QLogic?

We run into this issue everytime QLogic comes out with new driver version. Last 2 versions I know to work are 8.01.07.15_2 for older kernels and 8.02.14_01 for current kernels. We have a new system go in with SLES10 x86 and SA installed the 8.02.23 and SAN Discovery is broken again. I have PMR open with IBM, waiting for update from them now.

What do You mean "adjust" ? Device names are changing and no automatic "update path"?
Check out persistent names via udev. It is well described in Install and Users guide for lin_tape, or just search this forum, ie here: http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?27472-lin_tape-restdrives-yes-and-dev-IBMtape-permissions (first reply)
You can also try to enable "resetdrives" for your library. I know it's mainly used for lanfree and library sharing, but in my case it helped even I do not run such configuration.

If your system is crashing, can you post last /var/log/messages entries? If there is nothong interesting, enable kdump and check "log" in vmcore.

Back