Limiting Backup Space Allocated Per Client

T1DS

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if it's possible when setting up a new clients, to limit the amount of data they are able to backup to the server. So for example, we allow a client to occupy 5 GB's of space on the server, or we allow them to backup a total of 5 GB's of data... either way, somehow restricting them so that they don't turn around and upload 10 GB's.

I realize there are various things you can do to reduce the amount of space required, but is there a way to phyically control the actual amount of space they occupy on the server.

Thanks in advance.

Elana

Elana,

I'm not able to answer your question directly.

But: wouldn't it be more comfortable to limit the maximum amount of data on the client side (just thought of disk quotas)? If you have 10 GBs of data on the client and only 5 GBs are allowed to be backed up - who decides which data should be backed up? But if you have a limitation on the client side, the "user" (or who-/whatever produces the data) is responsible to keep his directory clean.

So, what I would do is to solve the problem "from the client side". But maybe that does not help you in your situation.

Hope it helps

Jens

El,

One method is to create a primary storage pool for each client or group of clients, set scratch=0 and manually assign storage resources to that pool. If a disk pool, only create as much space as you want.

With this approach, you will receive errors and backups will fail when the allocated space is exceeded.

You may step back and consider what you are attempting to do - perhaps you need to adjust you retention policies to limit how many versions and how long you keep stuff. Also make sure you are backuping stuff that needs to be backed up - Are you backing up cache files from a browser or mp3s?

cheers,

Neil

Back