Issues with two VM's with W2000

Matute

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having several issues with two W2000 VM's (I know that is out of support) but I wanted to exclude them from daily backup operations from my daily VM backups.
I was reading a little bit about these kind of backups over TSM and I found a way to exclude them:

Every day the VM backups are running using this command into a schedule:

DSMC BACKUP Vm -optfilE=dsm_dm1.opt vmhost=(name of vm host) -mode=incre -vmmc=MC_VE_S

Additionally I added next option into the schedule:
-domain.vmfull="all-vm;-vm=(vm_name to be excluded)"

I cannot understand the difference between domin.full and domain.file (is it necessary exclude the hosts from both?)

I would appreciate any help regarding this matter, because I want to exclude this in in order to avoid more compatibility problems.

I look forward for your help.

Thanks

Using VM backup is a good way to protect systems with unsupported OS, because the backup process does not care what is in the VM. So, if you do a backup vm, you don't need to be concerned if the guest OS is supported or not. It would only be a concern if you did "in-guest" backups, where you treat them as physical and install the TSM Client on the OS inside the VM.

If you still wish to exclude them, it's only necessary to exclude them from the method of backup you are using. Most people use domain.vmfull, which does full image backups of the VM, and you can perform incrementals based on that full, and that's what your backup command does, so don't need to worry about domain.vmfile.

domain.vmfile is used to do a file level backup of the VM.

Some more info:

There are 2 ways to exclude them, you use both, but don't need to. The first method you used with the command, this only backs up the VMs listed. Where as the second method with the exclude as an option, is good if you backup all-VMs except a few. It depends on what you want. If you want to backup only certain VMs and don't want to automatically add new VMs to the backup, specifying which to backup in the command will do that. However, if you want new VMs to be automatically backed up, but want some excluded, then using the domain.vmfull option is better.

Last edited:
Dear Marclant, I just added the option domain.vmfull -vm in order to exclude the VM that I want to exclude but I don't know why it didn'q work.
When I check the logs, I saw the backup vm, trying to make the backup of the excluded VM.

Do you know what would be the issue?

Thanks

Back