ISC users

BillSidwell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We are in the process of upgrading all our TSM servers to 5.3x. We have 30+ TSM servers and I am looking for an easy or atleast as easy as it can be to migrate our TSM admins into the ISC. So they can use it on a daily basis as needed.

not a fan of ISC.
but once you migrated or set up ISC.
It has its own console management (play with it) - where you add users that can access the ISC console. The user name here does not have to be same name as your TSM admins. Iscadmin is default admin for ISC -which i think has the 'root' priveledges.. You can add & create the group here. Group can be able to connect to the particular application hooked up to ISC for instance TSM - once TSM is set up - you need to connect to tsm server by using a valid TSM admin ID

so in theory - you have a userid loging into ISC, iscadmin user id i normally used but I just created one for me now and tested it and i have to add it to the group so I can access TSM
now you its another userid to set up connecting you to TSM server -we created a TSM admin with normally read only authority so they could not do any d/b updates here. we still prefer the old CLI

I don;t know if we can just say ISC is a bad thing. like I have heard that Windows is crap and UNIX better for decades but we still using Windows and big UNIX shops collaborating with Microsoft. i suppose we can look at ISC this way - use it and find the weakness - yes its takes time to load and sh**t crap of load.. but technologies could be improved - thats how I look at it.

I think that IBM can do some tests before strip old WWW from TSM and add ISC. Its a monster :) i took about 2 hours to SETUP, and worked only on defailt path values. Imagine if they replace native windows TSM code with JAVA and will sell it :) its a nightmare :) Like TSM Express :) There are many bad words about ISC, additional testing may resolve it BEFORE it will be in production.

I do not use the ISC, it is a pain to use. I do a lot by CLI or TSMManager.

I did try to use the ISC but it was taking a lot of time for things I use to do easily on the old web page.

Problems will NOT be resolved with ISC. In fact, I guarantee you that IBM doesn't feel there is a problem. I base this assertion on my previous experience with Tivoli's other bloated Java product consoles (i.e., Tivoli Workload Scheduler's JSC).

I agree with you. If TSM go to JAVA like TSM Express i think we will go to Veritas ;) I saw some IBM Java products and its a painfull sometimes. Memory leeks, CPU Loads, etc.... IBM guys say - its an 'industry' JAVA, its better than other JAVA :)

Old WWW interface was fast and well, but IBM has its own view on this :)

Tehnically you should setup the ISC on a seperate server and if it is not very powerful prepare for a tool that actually wastes more work hours than it claims it saves. I would recommend the command-line or TSMManager.

I wonder why nobody started an open source php project on that yet. Cant really be THAT difficult. "Just" a nice frontend and "just" a bunch of volunteers for the dirty work (hacking in all the various dependencies) - and that should be it... maybe we should start our own adsm.org anti ISC project on freshmeat.

PJ

(Smileys intentionally suppressed)

Interesting points

So all this being said how hard\easy would it be to setup the old web gui with 5.3x? Is their any docs on it?

Back