Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service

prakash98420

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting this error while doing the backup on the particular extension file.

File is e$\sqlbackups_fordev\esps2003outdoors\ESPS2003OUTDOORS_BACKUP_200811090200.BAK'. This is a file having 38.3GB of data. while doing the backup on this file i am getting error as

Error desription: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.(This file is 38.3GB size)

Some one help me to get this fixed.

Thanks in Advance

prakash98420-

Insufficient system resources exist are usually caused by not enough memory on the client server transfer the data to the TSM server.

Also, check the TSM server and make sure the disk storage pool has the capacity to hold that much data, along with other servers data.
Check the next storage pool, ensure the maxscratch is set sufficient...

TT

hi

I have storage pool capacity of 1TB and also we have the enough next storage pool. Max scratch volume set to 1000

You might try this in your opt file:

MEMORYEFFICIENT yes

Remember to stop and start tsm services when you update the opt.

I have gotten that response from IBM too. One server, we added physical memory and that resolved it. The MEMORYEFFICIENT yes seems to help too. If you need a quick fix to get this file backed up, sometimes a simple reboot frees up enough memory for the backup to process. You might check if there are any rogue processes running too.

I've been getting this error lately on a fileserver. The MEMORYEFFICIENT switch seems to push the filesize "limit" higher, but doesn't completely resolve it.

We've been having the same issue on a server we use to host MS SQL 2005 databases. We use SQL's own backup system and then use Tivoli to backup the files SQL generates.

We've been getting issues on different files almost every night for the last month. It seems to happen in one of three folders on the drive where SQL's backups are stored. We've monitored the memory usage in the Windows Task Manager during the run and the values don't really change at all from the time it starts until the error comes up. We've also had it come up on manual backups when just selecting the file that appears in the error message.

Last Friday on a whim we decided to try renaming the file from its normal length of around 32 characters to just "test" and the backup ran fine. We then put the name back to what it was and ran another backup that also worked. Since then we've had three days of backups without issues so we don't really know what to think of it.

The files we've had trouble with in the last few days are only around 3Gig. We have other databases that are much larger and ones with even longer names that never give us trouble.

By chance does anyone have any knowledge of suggested/recommended maximum name lengths for SQL databases? I'm continuing to look myself but so far haven't found anything.

Back