Installing a new TSM Server

soutehsaid

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I installed a new TSM server in another machine (crash of the principal server), The DB is saved on the library (LTO 3582), the Volhist , devconf ans dsm.opt saved on my machine.

how to restore th DB from th library and produse the same image of the primary server.

Thanks.

1. install the binary on the new sever
2. format Dblog and recorevy, equal or greater than the old, use the command
dsmfmt -m -log <path>dsm.log 300 (300 MB file)
dsmfmt -g -db <path>dsm.db1 4 (4 GB File)
it will creat the dsmserv.dsk file
3. then format the the just created volumes
dsmserv format 1 logvol 2 dbvol1 dbvol2
4. connect the 3582, configure it
if necessary, you will find here how to configure auto library in manual mode:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docvie...al&uid=swg21165216&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

5. copy the old volh and devconf
6. restore the db

mmm ithink that should be all

Last edited:
I want you to explan the step n

Last edited:
I want you to explain th step n 6 (how we can restore th DB from the library LTO 3582 in new server)
It's necessary to have the same server (hardware & software) ?

Thanks

You need the same OS since there are supposedly differences with the DB on various platforms (I understand the Windows vs. Unix difference but not clear on why there would be a DB difference on the various UNIXs). Anyway you'll need that new server connected to the library so you can restore the DB. Make sure the drives and the library controller are defined on the new server and then what I like to do is after the DSMSERV FORMAT step I usually define the drives and paths and then backup the devconfig to a specially named file (making sure not to overwrite the old devconfig). I then restore the DB and when completed I use the define definitions in the new devconfig file I wrote to get the drives redefined quickly after deleting the old drive definitions.

Back