Installation of ISC on AIX 6.1 Fails

stevosoft01

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Gday All,
I am attempting to install the ISC on an AIX 6.1 server and it is failing during the part where it attempts to install the fixpack. The logfile displays the following info...

(12/02/2009 12:07:13), Install, com.ibm.wizard.platform.aix.AixRegistryServiceImpl, wrn, AixRegistryServiceImpl: Unable to initialize AIX registry.
(12/02/2009 12:09:28), Install, com.ibm.wizard.platform.aix.AixRegistryServiceImpl, wrn, AixRegistryServiceImpl: This level of AIX prevents ISMP installed produ
cts from being stored in the AIX VPD.
(12/02/2009 12:33:46), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.EnvironmentVariableUpdate, err, An error occurred and product installation failed. Look at th
e log file /opt/IBM/ISC601/log.txt for details.
(12/02/2009 12:33:46), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.EnvironmentVariableUpdate, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exc
eption = [ServiceException: (error code = 200; message = "nativePutenv"; severity = 0; exception = [java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: nativePutenv])])
STACK_TRACE: 13
ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code = 200; message = "nativePutenv"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: nativePutenv])])
at com.installshield.product.actions.EnvironmentVariableUpdate.install(EnvironmentVariableUpdate.java:404)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1923)
at com.ibm.wizard.platform.aix.AixProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(AixProductServiceImpl.java:355)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5202)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:369)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4570)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3765)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:41)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:567)
(12/02/2009 12:33:48), Install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct, err, An error occurred and product uninstal
lation failed. Look at the log file /opt/IBM/ISC601/log.txt for details.
(12/02/2009 12:33:48), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.EnvironmentVariableUpdate, err, ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exc
eption = [ServiceException: (error code = 200; message = "nativePutenv"; severity = 0; exception = [java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: nativePutenv])])
STACK_TRACE: 12
ProductException: (error code = 200; message="Java error"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code = 200; message = "nativePutenv"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: nativePutenv])])
at com.installshield.product.actions.EnvironmentVariableUpdate.uninstall(EnvironmentVariableUpdate.java:494)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.uninstallProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1954)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.processActionsFailed(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5145)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:374)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4570)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3765)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:41)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:567)

Has anyone seen this before? If so is there a fix.

Thanks

Steve

it happened to me, what the IBM told me to do is, uninstall evertyhing, delete all folders of ISC, put in the ip address of the aix box at /etc/hosts, comment the other ip addresses except the loopback temporarily, reboot the box, and install everything. it works. make sure to remove the comment on other ip addresses at the /etc/hosts after the install

Thanks for the reply. I tried this method but it failed with the same error. I have a call in with IBM support but no joy there yet. They seemed to think it was my JAVA_HOME being incorrectly set causing the issue. I set this correctly but the problem still occurred. They also mentioned the version of Java on the server may be an issue...
Java5.sdk 5.0.0.160 C F Java SDK 32-bit
Java5_64.sdk 5.0.0.160 C F Java SDK 64-bit
I'm getting a bad feeling that this version may be too high

Hi
For install fixpack on ISC you must have Java 1.4.2 32 bit !!!!! (not 64bit)
It works on AIX 5.3.....but you can try it on 6.1.
Efim

Gday All,

Thanks for all your replies. I figured it out, and it's kind of weird...

First of all AIX 6.1 comes with Java version 1.5, it has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions but by default uses the 32 bit version. According to IBM this version is ok. The root user doesn't have the JAVA_HOME environment variable set so it must be set before starting and finally you need to have enough free space, not only in /opt or wherever you install ISC but also in /tmp and /var where all the work occurs. I ended up with a 2GB /tmp and a 1GB /var. Finally don't use the BASH shell as your shell for the installation - I use the bash shell for my user account so use it when I am root for a consistent feel, call me lazy. Anyhow the bash shell continued to have failed installations with all the pre-work done, but as soon as I changed to KSH it works first time.

So to recap...
1. Make sure the java executable is in your path
2. Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable - and use the 32 bit version
3. Make sure you have plenty of space in /tmp, /opt and /var
4. Don't use the BASH shell if using AIX

I can't understand why IBM went down the Java installation wizard path when their installp method with a properly created install image would have been better for AIX - even RPM would have been better than this. Sure use Java in the app but keep it away from the installation - I don't like to see Java anywhere but running fridges and toasters.

Steve,

I'm about to install ISC on AIX myself and would like to get more information. What is the variable you set for JAVA_HOME?

I have installed java6_64 on AIX 5.3 but my PATH does not contain the proper java environment path. Thanks for the BASH tip as I also uses bash and will switch back to ksh to do the installation.

Mike

That's pretty interesting that you were able to use the 64bit java. Local IBM support are pretty adamant that 32bit should be used. My JAVA_HOME was /usr/java5/jre, I also have /usr/java5_64bit but IBM say not to use. Also the JAVA_HOME should be directed to the jre and not bin.

ISC installed successfully on first try.
Regards,

Mike

For install ISC you don't need java (ISC use it's own and installation without java compleated without errors :)) but you need it for install ISC FixPack.
When you login to ISC witch version indicated ?
Efim

I used the Java SDK and not JRE. I'm not certain if the SDK includes stuff that JRE doesn't and got me through the installation?

My ISC 6.0.1.1 fixpack installed. However, when I logged into ISC, ISC version displays 6.0.1. From my reading, I thought you needed 6.0.1.1 to get the AdminCenter 5.5.0.0 install?

[from ISC]
Suite Name Version
Integrated Solutions Console 6.0.1
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager - Administration Center 5.5.0.0

Is there a way to confirm 6.0.1.1 is running other than the fixpack installation log? Otherwise, I can login to ISC, manage my TSM server just fine. (although still having SAN issue w/Sun StorageTek 6140).

[from installation/log]
Integrated Solutions Console Version 6.0.1
Installing IBM Integrated Solutions Console. Please wait...

0 % complete
10 % complete
20 % complete
30 % complete
40 % complete
50 % complete
60 % complete
70 % complete
80 % complete
90 % complete
100 % complete

Installing the Integrated Solutions Console Fixpack 6.0.1.1. Please wait...

0 % complete
10 % complete
20 % complete
30 % complete
40 % complete
50 % complete
60 % complete
70 % complete
80 % complete
90 % complete
100 % complete

Last edited: