Install TSM V5.3 Client on AIXL5: Missing "dsmclientV3.cat"

jxu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there:

I just installed TSM V5.3 Client on a RS/6000 running AIXL5. After the installation when I try to start ./dsmc it complains that

" ANS0101E Unable to open English message repository 'dsmclientV3.cat'."

I found that there is a symbolic link of /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US/dsmclientV3.cat pointing to /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/lang/en_US/dsmclientV3.cat.

But these is no "dsmclientV3.cat" under the directory /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/lang/en_US. Actually, there is no such file "dsmclientV3.cat" anywhere in the machine.

If anybody knows how to solve this, please respond ASAP. I would really appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

jxu

Hello:

It's been a week and still no reply. Is IBM Tivoli team monitoring this site? Or I should go somewhere else to post this message?

Someone suggested the file "dsmclientV3.cat" could be in the directory:

/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/en_US

It is not there! As a matter of fact, I searched the whole machine from / (by using find .....), there is no such file or even files close in name in the machine.

Thank you.

JX

I am posting a follow up to this at this time as I suspect a means of resolution might be helpful to someone in the future.

This error seems to be caused by a "feature" in the smit installation/removal processing of the TSM 5.3 client after a previous version was on the system.

Using smit to remove the TSM components leaves the /usr/tivoli and its subdirectories in place and this causes the install process to function differently. First you need to use smit to again remove the TSM components from the system. Then, rather than delete, I chose to use the mv command to rename this directory to /usr/old_tivoli. I then used smit to reinstall the TSM client from the CD. Once the client was in place I copied my original dsm.opt and dsm.sys files from the recently moved location, /usr/old_tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin. I then ran the dsmc command and was back working.

I hope that this help out someone else.....

good luck....

Brian

Back