initiate backups from TSM server not clients?

itcsge

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way of initiating jobs from the TSM server rather than from clients?

TIA

Or prompted instead of polling schedule mode on the client.

Not sure what you mean exactly.

My understanding is that the client schedules will poll TSM for backup times and then the client initiates/starts the backup.

If the client is behind a firewall then you can specify that TSM controls communicating schedule detail but is it still the client that starts the backup job?

I want to see if TSM can control the backup job and actually initiate it itself.

If you want the TSM server to control when a backup starts, create a client schedule with a "command" directive. The next thing you need to do is create a backup script/batch file on the client. The TSM will then call this backup script using the "command" directive.

Or use polling schedules on the client. However, define 'start the backup job'. If you want the server to initiate the job so the firewall sees it as an established session, I don't know if polling scheduling is enough to accomplish that. Test.

Scheduling a command means the client will initiate the backup. TSM will cause an OS process to start, which might be a TSM backup, but it'll be client-initiated because it will not be a scheduled backup in the strict sense of the word.

Back