Incremental backup of volume '\\<ServerName>\h$'

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd resolved an issue with a 6.4.1 BA Client node missing back ups from a windows file server cluster, but alas my attempts appear to have failed...

Initially my thinking was something around the article below, as this particular node can backup fine manually via the GUI when logged in to the OS but when running on a scheduled service (local system) it and a few others pointing to various separate shares decide not to play ball.. Others work ok.. about 50/50

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.4/client/c_start_consider.html

All I get in the sched.log as the last entry is :-
Incremental backup of volume '\\<ServerName>\h$'

Nothing after that..??

Nothing also written to the error log at all..??

a >q actlog, around the time of the node initiating the scheduled backup displays the node logging in and then pretty much instantly logging off, but sometimes leaving a session open which eventually times out!

So, I've tried the suggestions within the kb above. Strange that some of the schedules running on the same server work and some don't all of a sudden! No changes to permissions that we know of?

Anyone else seen this?

Many Thanks

opt file config below...

tcpserveraddress <servername>
nodename DAILY_NODE
commmethod tcpip
tcpport 1500
lang ameng
passwordaccess generate
clusternode yes
********* Backup Options ************
subdir yes
schedlogret 14
schedlogname H:\TSM\dsmsched.log
errorlogret 14
errorlogname H:\TSM\dsmerror.log
domain H:

If the dsmsched.log stops after: Incremental backup of volume '\\<ServerName>\h$' it means one of two things:
- the scheduler is hung: the scheduler would still be running, but no new entries in the dsmsched.log
- the scheduler crashed: the scheduler would now be stopped and there would be a new entry in dsmcrash.log

Either of these cases would need deep troubleshooting like tracing in the case of a hang or crash dump debug in the case of a crash which would be best handled in a PMR. Before going that route, might be better to upgrade to the latest client. 6.4 is a bit dated.

8.1 was released today, if you are shy about cutting edge, try 7.1.6: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24042350

Thank-you marclant
Indeed an upgrade of the client is on the cards and hopefully should provide more stability to the multiple schedules running on this particular file server...

Back