Reaction score
Website
http
I am using TSM server version 5.3.3, and TSM Cleint 5.3

My include/exclude fie reads:

exclude/.../*

include /tmp/.../*

include /opt/.../*

When I run the dsmc backup command, the backup completes without warning or error, the /opt file system is backed up but the /tmp file system is not.

If I execute a dsmc sel /tmp/* then the /tmp file system and its contents are backed up without error.

Any ideas why the /tmp file system is not backed up, even it is specifically included in my include/exclude files?

I believe that there is an implied exclude enforced from the server, equal to

exclude.dir /tmp (for UNIX)

exclude.dir *:\temp (for Windows)

that will prevent you from backing up /tmp without explicitly giving it a

selective /tmp

incremental /tmp

the exclude.dir will overule all includes in the dsm.sys or in the inclexcl list.

snippet from UNIX BA Client User Guide:

" The default is all locally mounted file systems except for /tmp."

default system exclude list

does anyone know how to list / view the default system excludes?
I don't mean the parms in the .opt or cloptset files.

Thanks.
Steve W

By the way, is /tmp in your client DOMAIN? Is /tmp its own filesystem or is part of the root filesystem /? If its part of root you'll need to put / in the domain and add some more excludes..

Actually also, the snippet posted by Dash is in regards to the default domain setting (not the include/exclude list), so that confirms that /tmp will not be in your domain unless you've put it in yourself.

Feel free to correct me but I don't think anything is automatically added to the incl/excl in unix clients (at least in 5.2...). Its on windows that a number of things are added, when you "q inclexcl" on the windows client you will see them come up in the list like all the others with the "source file" as "Operating System" rather than the usual optionset or inclexcl file. The list to automatically exclude in windows is stored in the registry.

Last edited:
Back