INCLEXCL - Stumped

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What should be simple is not working. I have 18 versions of the .BAK files where I should have only 7. What am I missing?

Mgmt Class...
Policy Domain Name: DM_WINDOWS
Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
Mgmt Class Name: MC_NL_NL_07_07
Copy Group Name: STANDARD
Copy Group Type: Backup
Versions Data Exists: No Limit
Versions Data Deleted: No Limit
Retain Extra Versions: 7
Retain Only Version: 7

inclexcl.txt...
INCLUDE "*:\...\*.bak" MC_NL_NL_07_07
INCLUDE "*:\...\Backup\*" MC_NL_NL_07_07
EXCLUDE "*:\...\*.mdf"
EXCLUDE "*:\...\*.ldf"
EXCLUDE "*:\...\*.ndf"
EXCLUDE.DIR "*:\System Volume Information"

The BA Client GUI shows they are bound to MC_NL_NL_07_07, but shows TSM is storing 18 of them. (1 backup per day, 18 days)
dsmsched shows none of those BAK files expiring.

I would try VE=7 and RE=no limit, not sure why not working though, unless you are backing up twice or more a day.
Is your MGMT class pointing to a valid copy group ? Is there by chance another copy group with VE=18 ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. 18 was simply the number that were in backup storage as of my post yesterday. After last night's backup, now there are 19. And in the dsmsched.log, there are no "expiring" entries.

The stg pool destination exists.

Is expiration running to completion? When I see a node's occupancy higher than in should be I sometimes find that expiration processes have been cancelled.

It doesn't run to completion every day. But it has run to completion several times after day 7 and before day 19. But even if it hadn't run, I should still see "expiring" in the dsmsched.log, right? Since all that is doing is flagging for expiration, not actually performing it.

Good grief. Apparently my expiration was MUCH further behind than I thought. Today during expiration, the extra files have disappeared and I now see only 7. So IT was working correctly all along, but I wasn't. :-D

Back