Implementing weekly offsite backups

NIckelton

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all. Need your assistance
All backups use tape library with two drives
There are 2 kinds of backup: oracle (RMAN) and filesystem (tsm sched with object param) on Windows OS
I use standard and filesystem mgmtclasses in standard domain, standard policyset.
Standard for oracle and filesystem for files and folders
There are 3 kinds of database backup: hourly, daily and weekly
Files (d:\database\oracle\* with subfolders) backup I do every week on sunday 3 am.
Oracle weekly backup I do every sunday 3 am too. (I use RMAN for that)
I need implement offsite backups

I came in on Monday morning and took from the library IO Slot cartridge with a full weekly backup (weekly database + filesystem folders)

I had created "weekly" primary stgpool with maxscratch 0 and nodes with _weekly postfix
I need select 4 cassets for rotation thats why I define 4 volumes in copygroup weeky. All weekly database backups will be stored on this tapes

Than I create "offsite" stgpool=copy and define 3 tapes for it
Every sunday at 8pm i copy last backup from copygroup weekly (with database) and last filesystem backup
Then scheduler checkout this volume

The following Monday, I take second tape form IO Slot and put the first in IO slot

Then I do checkin libvol

Is it correct steps or not?
Maybe there is a better way to implement offsite weekly copies?

Hi all. Need your assistance
All backups use tape library with two drives
There are 2 kinds of backup: oracle (RMAN) and filesystem (tsm sched with object param) on Windows OS
I use standard and filesystem mgmtclasses in standard domain, standard policyset.
Standard for oracle and filesystem for files and folders
There are 3 kinds of database backup: hourly, daily and weekly
Files (d:\database\oracle\* with subfolders) backup I do every week on sunday 3 am.
Oracle weekly backup I do every sunday 3 am too. (I use RMAN for that)
I need implement offsite backups

I came in on Monday morning and took from the library IO Slot cartridge with a full weekly backup (weekly database + filesystem folders)

I had created "weekly" primary stgpool with maxscratch 0 and nodes with _weekly postfix
I need select 4 cassets for rotation thats why I define 4 volumes in copygroup weeky. All weekly database backups will be stored on this tapes

Than I create "offsite" stgpool=copy and define 3 tapes for it
Every sunday at 8pm i copy last backup from copygroup weekly (with database) and last filesystem backup
Then scheduler checkout this volume

The following Monday, I take second tape form IO Slot and put the first in IO slot

Then I do checkin libvol

Is it correct steps or not?
Maybe there is a better way to implement offsite weekly copies?

First of all, what backup software were you using before? If you had been using other backup software, TSM implementation is NOT similar.

You don't have to go all through this 'other software routine' to send tapes offsite. All you do is create a primary pool and a copy pool, backup the primary to the copy pool, eject the copy/ies created (this is done daily) and send to offsite. You don't even need to know on which tape data was written to. If you need to restore data, the primary has it. If a disaster happens, the copy has the data.

I hope you are backing up your TSM DB and sending the backup offsite. This is a must.

moon-buddy,
I have not used before other software. And now I am using tsm 6.3.5 server and 6.3 baclient and agent.

As I know I can do my task two ways: DRM and automate with jobs ( tsm scheduler) checkin/checkout libvolumes. So I must reconfigure my TSM server to implement offsite backups.

Yes, I have 3 administrative schedulers that backups tsm database and other specific information

Can You give me a sample of configuration that I need?

TSM basic setup is:

1. Group servers by function: DB, FS/OS, etc
2. Create Domains, policies, devclass, management class, etc for these groups.
3. Backup groups into each online tape pool
4. Backup the online tape pool to the copy pool
5. Run TSM DB backup
6. If you use DRM, run the required routines, i.e., prepare, etc
7. Eject copy and DB backup for offsite storage
8. Run expiration and reclamation

If you have databases, create schedules for LOG, daily and weekly backups. The backups goes into the same online tape pool. No need to track where the data goes to as TSM does this for you. You just have to specify the retention. In this case RMAN dictates the retention.

Here's a visual of a 24 hour cycle:
21-02-04.jpg

source: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbook...tml/wwhelp.htm?context=SG245416&file=12-1.htm

Back