I'm Removing 48 tapes (Primary Pool) from Tape Library. Do i have to run 48 times?

JohnnyB04

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Yall.
Just came across this site and such good information. I've been doing TSM for about 3 months now, and learning everyday, enjoying it and wish I had found this site sooner.

I need to remove 50 tapes from 'primary pool' out of my tape library. These tapes will reside on premises, but they are full, are not be written to again, and need to be removed.
My plan is to run the following:

CHECKOut LIBVolume SSA <volume_name> REMove=YES

I believe this is the best way to remove the tapes, however will I have to do this 50 times? My tape library only has 1 AccessDoor/Ejection slot. With this command I would have to run it 50 times and then go to the tape library 50 times.

Is there a way that I can checkout, but just leave the tapes in their current slot, and then from the tape library do a bulk unload?

Thanks;
JB4

Hi Yall.
Just came across this site and such good information. I've been doing TSM for about 3 months now, and learning everyday, enjoying it and wish I had found this site sooner.

I need to remove 50 tapes from 'primary pool' out of my tape library. These tapes will reside on premises, but they are full, are not be written to again, and need to be removed.
My plan is to run the following:

CHECKOut LIBVolume SSA <volume_name> REMove=YES

I believe this is the best way to remove the tapes, however will I have to do this 50 times? My tape library only has 1 AccessDoor/Ejection slot. With this command I would have to run it 50 times and then go to the tape library 50 times.

Is there a way that I can checkout, but just leave the tapes in their current slot, and then from the tape library do a bulk unload?

Thanks;
JB4

CHECKOut LIBVolume SSA <volume_name> REMove=NO

Although I'm new as well, I think fidel is correct in that REMove=No wont try to eject the volume, which In your case you are not wanting to eject them, just run the command on all the tapes and then do a bulk unload is what I'm thinking, but like I mentioned I'm new as well.

There is a step that most forget about - you need to tell TSM the off library location of the primary tapes so it will prompt you when needed:

move media

With this, you don't have to use the checkout command. See 'help move media'.

Oh Wow, this seems pretty straight forward, will keep researching, but right now I think I will be running the following.

MOVe Media * STGpool=PRIMARY OVFLocation=SrvRm11

Thanks everyone. On the Job training right now and at end of month I go to a week long class on TSM.
JB4

Try to move the data off of the tape, by first doing an 'UPDATE VOLUME' to make it read-only and then 'MOVE DATA' commands. If this works, you should now have salvaged the data from the tape, and may want to remove this bad tape volume from the library. If the volume shows no utilization and 'QUERY CONTENT <volume name>' shows no files, mark the tape as destroyed (with 'UPDATE VOLUME') and check it out of the library. If it still has data that needs recovery, proceed with the next steps.

At this point if the tape has damaged data that could not be moved, then you must rebuild the data from other copies. Continue with the following Restore Volume procedure to restore the data from your copy pool.

Try to move the data off of the tape, by first doing an 'UPDATE VOLUME' to make it read-only and then 'MOVE DATA' commands. If this works, you should now have salvaged the data from the tape, and may want to remove this bad tape volume from the library. If the volume shows no utilization and 'QUERY CONTENT <volume name>' shows no files, mark the tape as destroyed (with 'UPDATE VOLUME') and check it out of the library. If it still has data that needs recovery, proceed with the next steps.

At this point if the tape has damaged data that could not be moved, then you must rebuild the data from other copies. Continue with the following Restore Volume procedure to restore the data from your copy pool.

I think you are off beat here.

The issue is not damaged tape but library is full. It may not always be ideal to group tape data from many to one. I know this is what you are saying here.

"move media" just tells TSM where the primary tapes are for restore purposes and that is the main issue here.

Thanks for the info, although I don't have damaged tapes, but will file away for future use if I ever have damaged tapes.

There is a step that most forget about - you need to tell TSM the off library location of the primary tapes so it will prompt you when needed:

move media

With this, you don't have to use the checkout command. See 'help move media'.
Does the same process work for moving tapes offsite?
So I would run this:

MOVe Media * STGpool=OFFSITE OVFLocation=OFFSITE

Does the same process work for moving tapes offsite?
So I would run this:

MOVe Media * STGpool=OFFSITE OVFLocation=OFFSITE

If the tapes are COPY tapes and you are using DRM, you have to use "move drm..." to tell TSM that the copy tapes are offsite.

"move media" is generally applied to PRIMARY tapes that has filled up your library, and is a way to tell TSM where these are located outside of the library BUT not offsite.

If the tapes are COPY tapes and you are using DRM, you have to use "move drm..." to tell TSM that the copy tapes are offsite.

"move media" is generally applied to PRIMARY tapes that has filled up your library, and is a way to tell TSM where these are located outside of the library BUT not offsite.
Thank you. I will look into it, from what I can tell we are not using DRM, but maybe in a week when I start my class I will be able to figure that out.

I suggest you make drives offline during non backup window and take out all the media manually from the library by opening the magazines.
Once done, close the magazines and bring drive online.
Make sure you run 'audit library' post that

If I used the command 'MOVe Media DM500 STGpool=PRIMARY OVFLocation=SrvRm11' and I now need to move this tape back into the tape library primary pool (Should have never been moved) what command would I run.
Would I run the LABEL LIBVolume lib0 DM500 CHECKIN=Private

Or would I use the checkin command?
checkin libvol lib0 DM500 status=private

Back