ibmchgr error in event log

aofan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Have any one seem this message in the Window Event Viewer?

" The description for event ID in source (ibmchgr) cannot be found the local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.The following informaiton is part of the event:

\device\changer0"

This message classified as system error and can be found in the even viewer couple times a day. The message is found in the event log of TSM Server (5.2.0.01) with Ultrium 3581 autoloader, W2K SP4 operating system. Everything seems working, but the message is brothering me.

Any ideas why I kept getting the error?

Thank you very much!!!1

I am seeing the same information in my W2K event log. I am recording an event a couple of times a minute with the exact description you described. We are W2K SP3 with TSM 5.2.0.1. When I view my device driver information I see that all my devices are being controlled by the Native driver and the startup option is set to manual.

Hey,

Have you installed IBM's ibmchgr driver for the library changer ?

Did you "disable" it ? (In Device Manager)

I have problem when I installed the TSM 5.2.0 due to the TSM Device Driver. The TSM Device Driver conflicts with the window native Device Driver due to the RSM.

I disabled the TSM Device Driver and load the Device Driver for The changer and the tape.

The TSM works fine with that setting. However, this error messages is very annoying.

To answer your question - I did installed the imbchgr driver for the library changer and I didn't disable in the device manager. I didn't get any question marks for the changer and the tape drive.

Please let me know if you have any ideas to get rid of the error events out.

Thank you in advance

:grin:

Hey

A) Disable the RSM service

B) Install IBM's driver for the auto-loader

C) Disable it

Now everything should work find with no errors.

* (Atleast with TSM 5.1..)

Hi,

Beware, IBM states that for TSM 5.2 and above on W2K, for the 3583 library (and 3584 I think), we need to use the IBMCHGR.SYS driver not the one that comes with TSM Server CD (ADSMSCSI.SYS).... IBM says ADSMSCSI no longer support the 358x libraries with TSM 5.2... so, you MUST stay with IBMCHGR.SYS but keep disabling RSM since it is not used by TSM.

QUESTION: why IBM changed from ADSMSCSI driver and opt for IBMCHGR instead ?

QUESTION: anybody who upgraded from TSM 5.1 to 5.2 on W2K and switched to the IBMCHGR.SYS driver ? How was it going ?

:confused:

When you said "disable it", you mean to disable the driver from the device manager?

I believe I tried that before and the library is not recongized by TSM Device Driver.

The setting I have is from the IBM Tech Support. However, the ibmchgr error is flooding the event viewer.

Thank you.

Hi,

I mean, disable the Removable Storage Service in the Services applets... the driver must be enabled so TSM can work with it !

JF

Hi,

I did diable the service when I was instaling the changer driver. My whole TSM Env. is working. It just ibmchgr error floods over my window event viewer and I tried to get rid of it if possible

Thank you

With TSM 5.2 (Windows), you now use the IBM Ultrium to control both the medium changer and drives in 358x libraries. (Note: Be aware that this is different than a TSM 5.1 environment where the TSM Device Driver controlled the medium changer and IBM Ultrium controlled the drives.)

In the TSM 5.2 Admin Guide (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/TSMCW/GC32-0782-01/en_US/PDF/anrwgd51.pdf) on page 66 (or Adobe pg 92 of 769), there is the following:

IBM 3570, 3590, and LTO Ultrium Devices

The Tivoli Storage Manager device driver will no longer recognize IBM 3570, 3590,

or LTO Ultrium devices. If you currently use any of these devices, you will need to

download and install the correct IBM device driver from the ftp site

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/

Also, the steps to disable RSM are listed in this section of the manual as well.

Once the IBM Ultrium DD is installed (for both changer and drives), you should see the devices listed in the Microsoft Device Manager as fully working devices. If not, consider contacting IBM LTO support to help you configure the library/drives to OS.

Since this is controlled by the native device drivers, you need to use the native tool 'ntutil.exe' to verify operability. Likewise, you could even uninstall the TSM Device Driver - however, if you leave it [TSM DD] installed, then you will still have some of the useful utilities in the TSM Management Console (i.e. "TSM Device Driver"->"Reports"-> "Device Information" which will show you both the device names (\.changer0 and \.tape0) and the TSM alias (lb1.0.0.1 and mt1.2.3.4) for this device. Note: use the alias name when defining paths to TSM.)

--Brian

Brian,

Thank you for your response. However, it doesn't explain the error I am getting from the window event viewer. I receive the following message couple times a day. It is flooding my system log. I am wondering if you know any thing regarding to this error?

My original question is

Have any one seem this message in the Window Event Viewer?

" The description for event ID in source (ibmchgr) cannot be found the local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.The following informaiton is part of the event:

\device\changer0"

This message classified as system error and can be found in the even viewer couple times a day. The message is found in the event log of TSM Server (5.2.0.01) with Ultrium 3581 autoloader, W2K SP4 operating system. Everything seems working, but the message is brothering me.

Any ideas why I kept getting the error?

Thank you very much!!

All the TSMers...

I am still not able to resolve the error I received in Windows Event Viewer. I suspect that it is something to do with RSM. I turn the RSM off in order to install the TSM 5.2.0.0

Please help.

Thank you in advance

I have the exact same error message in the Event log. We just had TSM V5.2.0.1 installed on Windows 2000 SP4.

The TSM Server is an IBM x345 with an IBM 3583 populated with 4 Ultrium 2 Drives via Fibre.

We have the ibm 3583 LTO Library Device driver v.5.0.6.5 using ibmchgr.sys.

We have the IBM ULT3580-TD2 SCSI Sequential Device driver V.5.0.6.5 using ibmtape.sys.

We have also disabled the Windows Removable Storage Manager.

Hi, using 3584LTO library and upgraded and fresh install (other site) TSM 5.2 is seems that the old way of using tapedrive with native device driver and Library unter TSM Device driver control doesn't work any more. Thereby, the TSM device driver won't start at all at either boot or manual (cause the Event Log entries).

Now, we are running all four of our TSM servers with both RSM and TSM device drive shut down.

Regard,

Karel

Are you saying just to diable the "TSM Device Driver" instead of set to the manual mode?

Thank you :confused:

Back