IBM tape drive serial number

denisl

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone know who to get the drive serial number from Linux? I know I can get it from the q path f=d but I want to know the s/n from the OS. IBMtapeutil doesn't seem to provide this..

Tapeutil as far as I know is only for Windows.

Look under /dev for tape devices. Cat the contents of the files under tape devices. I can't be more specific because I am not near a Linux-based system right now.

The following document from IBM web site have answer to your question.

Solution
The serial number for the STA device must match the serial number of the TSM server device for the specific path, otherwise it will result in unpredictable errors and the operations will fail.
The server may mount a volume into "drive A" but the STA expects it in "drive B" which will cause the "open" to fail.
For drives controlled by IBM SSD tape device driver, there is a utility available that comes with the device driver to inquire the drives and get to the serial number assigned to the specific drive. (Linux: IBMtape, AIX, HPUX, Solaris: tapeutil, Windows: nttape)

On a Linux system you can submit the following command to query the serial number:
IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMtape9 inquiry 80
Issuing inquiry for page 0x80...
Inquiry Page 0x80, Length 14
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0123456789ABCDEF
0000 - 0180 000A 3133 3930 3230 3238 3937

launch the tapeutil.exe
you just need to follow the Menu infos
open the require device
then you should have, by memori, the 3 option who can give you the serial number of you device

The following document from IBM web site have answer to your question.

Solution
The serial number for the STA device must match the serial number of the TSM server device for the specific path, otherwise it will result in unpredictable errors and the operations will fail.
The server may mount a volume into "drive A" but the STA expects it in "drive B" which will cause the "open" to fail.
For drives controlled by IBM SSD tape device driver, there is a utility available that comes with the device driver to inquire the drives and get to the serial number assigned to the specific drive. (Linux: IBMtape, AIX, HPUX, Solaris: tapeutil, Windows: nttape)

On a Linux system you can submit the following command to query the serial number:
IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMtape9 inquiry 80
Issuing inquiry for page 0x80...
Inquiry Page 0x80, Length 14
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0123456789ABCDEF
0000 - 0180 000A 3133 3930 3230 3238 3937

Perfect. This will be automated on system boot until we get udev rules figured out to create custom device names.. Actually, this will be used in the custom udev script.

Thanks!

Back